Car Riding (Crate Or Not?)

Thread: Car Riding (Crate Or Not?)

DefaultCar Riding (Crate Or Not?)

Just posting the question on whether, during car rides, you crate your dog or not?
    We've done both with Bailey, let her ride in just the back seat or in the back seat in her crate & it seems to me it'd be safer for both of us when she's in her crate (in case of an accident) but just wanted to get other's input on what they do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Car Riding (Crate Or Not?)

We don't... simply because the backseat of a Toyota Corrola is a tad bit impossible to use a crate in. We do have a seatbelt harness we are trying to get back in the habit of using.
    ~Lindsay

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Some (MOST?) state laws require the dog to be contained/restrained in some fashion. So the back-of-the-seat method may get you into trouble someday.

We have a divider in the back cargo area of our Subaru Forester. Wesley is also leashed back there, w/the leash attached to the bracing on the divider.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If you are able, I would suggest using a crate. I would agree with you that it is both safer for you and your dog in case of an accident. I know that my Bailey(boy) would probably start chewing on something or pawing at the car seats or sides if he wasn't kenneled. Maybe when they are older. Otherwise the seatbelt option is definitely available.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Definitely do NOT allow your dog to ride loose in the backseat. You and I both know what would happen to the dog if you crashed.

Use a crate or a doggy seatbelt. Alternatively, you can use a divider in the back;

I have 4 dogs so this is the most practical for me. The crate is probably the safest option though.

Thanks everyone for their input; just re-enforcing what I thought was the thing to do.
    I have a Ford Escape right now, so the back divider would be nice, but I may be trading for car (for gas $ purposes!!), so then just her crate would work then.
    Thanks again!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We do it both ways, depending on which car we're in and where we are going, and how many dogs are going.

If we are going to training, I take my sedan, and the dog is just in the back seat. If I go to shows, usually only taking one dog, I set up the crate and put them in it, since I'll need the crate at the show. If we are taking a family trip with my hubby and all 3 dogs, they are in the back of the Tahoe. No one jumps over, so we stopped using the divider.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

we just bought seat belt leashes and they seem to be working great. I never liked the dogs loose but the crates don't fit. the leach is a six foot nylon that attaches to any harness and at one end there is a seatbelt that gets covered away once you are out of the car. It is also nice as then when you open the dorr the dog doesn't manage to escape......

MTI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    Some (MOST?) state laws require the dog to be contained/restrained in some fashion. So the back-of-the-seat method may get you into trouble someday.
    Are you sure? New Mexico tried to pass a law requiring animal restraint, but failed. It was noted during the debate that NM would be the first state in the nation to have such a law.

I was trying to be nice and let Crockett do whatever in the car - back seat head out the window thing- until... he decided to chew on my new leather seats and try to stop a dog while driving NOT SAFE! Now, he is in a crate - he jumps right in lays down, no big thing!