Manners for Visitors?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manners for Visitors?

DefaultManners for Visitors?

Zora is 5 months, listens well, except for when we have visitors. She goes crazy. I have had her around people. Take her places, etc. It's just when we have parties, she goes crazy, jumping on everyone. I have to put her in the backyard, where she stands barking mad to get in. Help! What is the best way to handle this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Manners for Visitors?

I'd work on training with her all the calm sit/stay/settle/quiet commands when a guest is over. Then work on it with two guests... etc... work your way up to a full party
    ~Lindsay

Dani is offline Senior Member

taking her to more places where she can get socialized. The more people/dogs she meets, the less crazy she gets. Also, put a leash on her and don't allow anyone to pet her until she sits. Tether her to you. Putting her out back will only increase the crazies. Get to a class soon.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

curly is offline Senior Member

When you refer to tethering, what is the most effective way to tether the dog to yourself? Zakk does the same thing around people. Luckily, the people that he has jumped on have been very understanding (they are dog people also ).

Dani is offline Senior Member

I wrap the leash handle around my belt and slip it through to make a slip knot and then I attach the leash to the dog. I made the mistake of doing it through the belt loop one time and half tore out my pants.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Repetition. Repetition. Repetition.

Think of how many times you repeated the sit command to teach her how to sit? Well I doubt you have THAT many parties or guests! haha. Keep at it, I would in rare instances put her in the backyard, just so she can get the training. Pain in the rear...but it will finally pay off.

One thing my dog doesn't do: he will not stay sitting to greet strangers. HOWEVER, he does NOT jump. You know they train that they have to sit at obedience school.... oh well.

curly is offline Senior Member

Thanks! I'll have to try that the next time we have company (and brace myself because Zakk is turning into quite the man ).

Repetition is the key word.... 'sit' was never a problem with Zakk (he picked up on it very quickly) but a few other things are taking more time (such as staying off the furniture and countersurfing :-\).

Oh this is a great post! I have the same problem whenever Bailey sees people he goes nuts and wants to bit their hands and rub up against them. Thanks for the suggestions, we wil have to try tying him to us next time. Good Luck!!!

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

we also roped family and friende sinto the training as our two are fairly calm when we come home - it is just the doorbellor different voices that make them crazy. Friends of ours came to visit and they came in and until they sat didn't get attention and once they were all settled we had them do the doorbell thing again and just kept repeating (yes or friends ar dog people too!) IF you can get soemone to "visit" a number of times in a short period of time it can help - you do have to do this in many sessions though. Now they are pretty good but we have collars that have "leashes" built in by Bamboo. - they are the best invention ever!!!! I can handle both dogs by myself (and I think Finn will out weigh me by the time he is full grown!) and still get the door by holding the leashes they settle quicly and then i cna let them go andsay hello and they are much mellower

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

You may also want to put a toy in your dog's mouth. Most, if not all, will not jump with a toy.
    These days, as soon as company comes, Zoe races for a toy and greets the guests that way.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast