Demon Dog!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demon Dog!

DefaultDemon Dog!

Holy crap, Cooper just bit the you know what, out of my wife! He is only 8 wks. old. Our pug was chasing him playing around she quit and my wife went to pick up Cooper and he growled at her she told him NO! Then he turned around and bit her and he meant business. Why would a 8wk old pup do that and how can we curve any other behavior like this? This is his first time biting with attitude. Thanks for any help or tips!!!! Coopersdad

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Demon Dog!

Puppies don't know the force of their teeth. They usually don't until after they are finished teething (around 6 months). I would suggest not getting down on the floor and playing with him until this type of behavior is over because he sees you as an equal in the pack.
    Olie

I forgot to add he went right to his crate afterwards. So he's basically trying to climb the ladder of hierarchy. Going for the alpha male position!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yup its not uncommon for a puppy to try and climb that ladder for two years. Everyday he will wake up and think, "Maybe today is the day I get to move up the ladder?" Thats why you need to be consistant with what you do. Such as walking in and out a door. You and I wouldn't think a thing about this but for a dog it is a huge statement because the leader always walks out front. Until this dog is older I wouldn't allow him on the furniture or bed, and then only when he is invited up. Another thing you could try is before you feed him make him lie down and put his food down. Straddle the food and don't let him have it for about a minute. Come over to his side and release him. This is also a huge statement because the person who controls the food is a very powerful person. Both you and your wife have to do these exercises so he underestands that he isn't in control.
    good luck
    Olie

Thanks for the tip Oonas dad! This will definitely be a little work. I should have known this.

Hey don't beat yourself up. I didn't know about this forum when Oona was a puppy and she is lucky to have survived with some of the stuff we did with her. LOL! Think of training as an investment in your relationship with him and it is a learning experience for both of you. Enjoy the journey.
    Olie

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, I don't know if he's climbing quite yet...remember that he just left his littermates, and that is all they did was growl, wrestle and bite either other. Since he is no longer with his littermates, he is trying to do what he knew how to do best with the next best thing, his pack. He knows NOTHING else. YOU have to TRAIN him to behave the way that in line with your house rules.

If this is your first lab, get reading on ALL training methods, and this board to find out how to train and what the stages are like of owing a lab. Otherwise, you could just be in for a rude awakening. Knowlege is power.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I forgot to add he went right to his crate afterwards.* So he's basically trying to climb the ladder of hierarchy.* Going for the alpha male position!
    Good grief, please don't think it is combat between you and your puppy.* He was excited and young puppies are not good at quickly realizing when the game is over.* He likely went right to his crate afterward because he sense by your reaction that something bad was going to happen to him, so he got out of Dodge.
    Your dog is not out to climb the social ladder and there is no such thing as an alpha, not in wolves and not in dogs.* Any behaviourist or ethologist with any type of credentials knows this and the sooner pet people realize it, the sooner they will stop confronting their dogs and start training them.
    Please take your puppy to a puppy class and then a pet training class so you can learn how to effectively prevent problem behaviours before they start.* Lead your puppy by example and be a benevolent leader.* Make sure that when he does something good it gets rewarded and when he does something you would prefer he didn't, that it doesn't get rewarded or that it puts an end to the fun.
    Do not teach him with force as you will only teach him that force gets you what you want.* Teach him now that good manners get him what he wants and that you are in charge of the goodies and you will never have a problem with him again*
    Always remember that most problem behaviours we see in dogs are hard wired into them and are just natural dog behaviours.* Biting, chasing wrestling, jumping up, digging through garbages or flower beds, barking, chasing cats...these are all things that are natural behaviours to dogs and they have an innate desire to do them.* It is not easy asking a dog not to be a dog in order to fit into our artificial human world, so please take it easy on the little guys and gently teach them how to behave in our alien world with compassion and understanding.* They are not plotting to take over the world, just trying to understand it.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Such as walking in and out a door. You and I wouldn't think a thing about this but for a dog it is a huge statement because the leader always walks out front.
    Dogs walk in front of us simply because they are in a hurry to get there. There is not one shred of proof that shows dominant dogs walk in front. There is not one shred of proof to show that dogs are dominant at all. Dog pack heirachy is fluid and situational.
    You are correct about having him do something to earn his dinner. The intention is not to put ourselves in control, but rather to make certain he understands that the good stuff comes from us and the better he heeds us, the more good things will come his way.
    You also do not need to keep dogs off furniture to show 'dominance'. Instead, teach them 'off' and they will understand that it is your furniture and they are welcome to use it, but may be asked at any moment to get off. Why not let your family member enjoy the comfy couch?
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

With any display of dominant type behavior my pup gets rolled onto his back. Even at 9 mths and 70 lbs he would still get put on his back if he gets an attitude. I haven't had to do this since he was 4 mths old. Nothing cruel, just held firmly on his back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast