I am about to go crazy

Thread: I am about to go crazy

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultI am about to go crazy

Ok. My puppy was an angel. Would sleep through the night with no problems..

Well over I would say the last month things have changed. He is going to bed the same time everynight. But he gets up at like 5:30. Doesnt need to go potty, just wants to play. He would sleep till 8:30 or 9 before with no problem.

This puppy gets lots and lots of excerise. We go to the dog park for a hour and half almost everyday, than I play with him when we get home so he wouldnt go to sleep. I keep him awake till 10 or so, thinking maybe he will sleep later. Didnt work

I have tried to feed him earlier to avoid the needing to go potty.

Only thing that worked was letting him get in bed with me. Now I know that was a bad idea. But he was up before I even started doing that. I just gave in because I wanted to sleep.

Now I am worried that the time is changing..Will he now get up at 4??

Any suggestions or advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I am about to go crazy

Teach SETTLE! That's what I use w/Wesley when he starts schrunching around at 4AM.

BUTTTTTT - Know that these dogs, bred for hunting, are programmed to get up mighty early.

Tater Guest

Well Ihave already told you what I had to do with Tater. And it worked, have have slept right through the night now. He did bark the other morning and I got up because he hadnt barked that early in awhile and he did have to go out for potty. Happy I got up. Try the ignoring thing. If you have to start doing that on the weekend that way if he keeps you up at least you dont have to go into work. Plus another thing on of the ladies on here told me to do. Right before I put him up for the night, play with him. See I did this with tater that was the whole wrestling thing right before bed where I would put him in the head lock he went running to his cage I said no you are sleeping tonight. He it worked. Even though you play with him all day when you get home, I think a strong tire him out right before bed seems to really work with tater. He was out like a light. Good sleeping for me. Let me know if this works. If not I am sorry I feel your pain. Could you maybe move is creat? I had to move Taters because the neighbor was leaving her porch light on and he would bark at that. FUNNY DOG

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta gets up early regardless of how much exercise she gets...so along the same lines as dweck...when she gets up before I'm up I'll say "lay down" and give her a bone, now she'll get a bone on her own when I say "lay down". I actually keep several nylabones in the room for her. On the weekends after I take her out, she'll actually go back to sleep with me. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You might consider a different kind of exercise.

If you have a good place to swim, then swimming retreives are excellent. 5 to 10 minues per month of age.

If not, running off leash retrieves on land for the same amount.

Dog parks are fine but if your Lab is not running almost all the time there, it may not be enough exercise.

I think your Lab's behavior is clearly telling you -- "I need MORE!"
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Mybabymambo Guest

Thanks for the advice. I will try to make sure he gets even more exercise.I guess I thought he was getting alot He is so wore he wont walk around much when he gets home, unless I am forcing him to play more to get him tired I just think its odd that it kinda started sudden. I really think he gets alot of excerise he does spend alot of the time at the park running. He really likes to run.PLus he is running around alot in the back yard playing fetch. I do live close to a great dog beach, but kinda worried since we have red tide.

I am going to try to get him running more and will see if it helps us out. Hope it works. Thank you for all the inputt.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Why can't you make him sleep downstairs so he doesn't bother you?

He sounds like he is getting plenty of exercise. If he is getting an hour and a half of running with other dogs every day and play time with you in the back yard, that is plenty. Sounds like he is just being a stubborn pup. Remember, if you let him wake you up once --just ONCE-- he will continue to do it. You need to ignore his behavior.

Mybabymambo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Why can't you make him sleep downstairs so he doesn't bother you?

He sounds like he is getting plenty of exercise. If he is getting an hour and a half of running with other dogs every day and play time with you in the back yard, that is plenty. Sounds like he is just being a stubborn pup. Remember, if you let him wake you up once --just ONCE-- he will continue to do it. You need to ignore his behavior.
    Thanks trickster...But I dont have a down stairs. He has his own room, but the house isnt that big. So his crying keeps me up. I will just have to ignore him more.. I know letting him get in bed wasnt a good idea, but I just wanted to sleep. So I am going to now break this from him, even if it means I have to be up at 5.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

First, he is certainly getting adequate exercise. Exercise is important for dogs, young ones especially, but it is not a substitute for good training.
    On that note, remember that dogs behaviours are driven by their consequences. If your dog gets up in the morning and starts banging around in his crate and you take him out, he is being rewarded for that behaviour and the behaviour will get worse and worse. Instead of letting him out, just keep a large blanket ready and if he vocalizes or starts thrashing around in his crate, say nothing and put the blanket over top of his crate and just leave it there. This will accomplish two things: first, the dark will quiet him down and help him to quickly settle, and second, it is not the reward he was looking for, so he will soon learn that he may as well lie quietly because trying to wake you only brings the blanket out.
    It is very easy to over-exercise a puppy. An hour with play sessions is more than adequte and will help you to avoid soft tissue or joint injuries.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

We have only had Rascal for six days. I put him in his pet taxi (don't have a crate yet) when it's bedtime. If he won't go to sleep after I bring him in from his middle of the night potty break I will say to him "Sleep". He lays down, gets quiet, and goes back to sleep. It amazes me that we have had him for such a short period of time and he is only 9 weeks old and already following my commands.