Martingale Collar on a Puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martingale Collar on a Puppy

KTB

DefaultMartingale Collar on a Puppy

Our pup walks pretty well with me using his regular collar or harness and stops pulling fairly quickly but his pulling is a little harder to deal with for my wife. Searching the threads it seems like people have had some success with Martingale collars. I can't seem to find a good age to start on it though - when used properly - what has been your experience with a safe age to start using one?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Martingale Collar on a Puppy

I use a martingale on mine, and like it. I'm trying to remember when I started using it...I think it may have been 8-9 mos.?? Sorry I can't recall exactly. I like it because it's limited closure. You don't say how old your puppy is..someone else may know better whether a martingale's a good idea for a younger pup...I don't know honestly.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

A martingale is wonderful for puppies. If it is properly fitted, it is self limiting and the best thing is they can't back out of it like a regular collar, so it is much safer for the little devils
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KTB

Thanks for the responses!* This board has helped so much during our first 4 weeks - I have been able to try lots of different approaches as things come up. He is 3 months on Monday! I am keeping about 4 (big) fingers of slack in it when it is loose so it doesn't tighten up too much.* It seems like it is actually a little better for him than his regular small collar.* It has thicker webbing and seems to put less pressure on his neck especially when he lunges forward.*

Keith

That's what I like about martingales, less pressure, and it loosens instantly.

One piece of advice, for what it's worth...if you're still using a crate, I wouldn't leave a martingale on in the crate, nor if the pup plays with other dogs, since it fits so loosely and could get caught up on something.

KTB

That's a great point about taking the Martingale collar off during play time with other dogs and in the crate - we always do - it is definitely important!

Never leave a collar of any sort on your dog. I know of dogs personally who have died by catching them in crates, on a picnic table, on a fence, and while playing with other dogs.
    Dana

- Anonymous

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The body harness (strap around the body just aft of the front legs with another strap across the chest joining the body stap on each side) is another you might consider.

Premier's Gentle Leader "EASY WALK" is one variety, but it's probably much more expensive than a Martingale.

A neighbor tried out the "Easy Walk" I bought for Puff and liked it so much he bought a similar (less expensive) harness. It rubbed a bald patch on the side of his Lab so he stopped using it.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

The Sensation harness is only $25 and my students have had great success with it...it is the no-pull harness that I recommend.
    Dana

- Anonymous

Where can these types of collars be purchased online? We dont' have a Petsmart or Petco in Hawaii.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast