Obed. Trainer asked us to use a Gentle Leader...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obed. Trainer asked us to use a Gentle Leader...

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultObed. Trainer asked us to use a Gentle Leader...

Let me preface by saying, this past week CoCo has hit her teenager attitude!!* Ever since our first intermediate obedience class, when the Trainer said that at this age is when dogs usually starts to act out and question authority, its like CoCo heard her say it and decided to give it a try!* She bites her leash, she runs around like crazy on leash, she pulls, she won't listen long enough to give a command... (this is some of the time, not all of the time, but some of the time was in obed. class!)

So... We were working on DOWN from a walking/healing position... and the Trainer asked me to try her GL on CoCo... CoCo HATED it... she barely walked with me, just slumped down on the floor and pouted.* I feel like we wasted an entire obedience class...* *:-\

BUT, on the Trainers recommendation, I did buy one today, to try it out.* I figure CoCo will require some time to adjust to it.* I hope she accepts it.*

We also use clicker training, and are learning to use a touch stick too... and a floor mat (to teach "go to your mat" I think)...

Anyhow, I'm curious to see how this all works out!* Only 6 classes left, and I'm not wasting them!!
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Obed. Trainer asked us to use a Gentle Leader...

No harm in trying I guess? I have yet to meet a dog that has accepted the Gentle Leader from the get go. You may find it is a valuable training tool if you persist. I know a couple of people (including the owners of a HUGE Bernese) that swear by them.

Murray hated his GL too.* He tolerated it but did not like wearing it.* When he saw me take it out, his head would drop to the ground, tail down.* He didn't want to come to me to put it on him so I had to go to him and wrestle it on him.* He hated that thing.* We took our basic obedience class with the GL because nothing else would work.* When I adopted him, he dragged me down the street while wearing a prong.*

One day Murray decided he'd had enough of the GL.* I came home from work and discovered it shredded to bits, not eaten...just shredded.* The biggest piece was maybe 1/4". Thankfully the leash was still intact or he would be a dead dog (it was my Rottie's leash). Murray had basic manners by then so I was able to go to a slip training collar.* I guess Muray was just telling me was ready for another type of collar.* ;D

I will say that I used lots of treats to get Murray to ignore the GL. Otherwise he spent most of the time wiping his head on the ground trying to get it off.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I have yet to meet a dog that has accepted the Gentle Leader from the get go.
    May I introduce you to Wesley?

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Haha.... Oh, Murray!! So far CoCo hasn't linked taking it outputting it on to being miserable, but she has tried biting at it (like she does with any new collar/leash : )... lol!

So last night and early this morning I've been putting it on her inside (without her leash) and doing some training and even playing using her yummy training treats. She's not fighting it nearly as much!! If I let her roam around with it on, she'll try and paw it off, but then I try to distract her and get her doing something productive (retrieve, sit, paw, down, etc)... But she's stopped the violent head shaking, which is a step in the right direction!

And I must say - with that thing on, her commands are ON!!! She was doing the DOWN from a walk/heal or a stand position like a PRO, whereas Thursday evening she would do it maybe 1 outta 5 tries!

I'll take it outside with a leash today, see how she does. So far, I think that *I* like it.... not too sure about her though!

And I must say, she looks so adorable in the red GL! :-*
    ~Jo & CoCo

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I use a halti on Ernie. He doesn't like it, so I give him little treats every now and then and he copes.He walks much better on the halti.
    I know several dogs who don't mind the GL.

I taught Kassa and Ernie "mat" and it works well. I use it so when I visit I can take a blanket (also called mat) and they have something familiar so generally behave better. A mat you can put anywhere in the house and say go to your mat or lie down on your mat.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff tolerated her over the muzzle GL.

But GL has a new body harness that works quite well and she likes it much better.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

MTI Guest

It took about a week of trying to paw it off the muzzle, but eventually it became part of "going out" so after that transition, it was a non-issue. Once trained about pacing and position, we weaned the dog off of the GL.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Also, you might try cutting some "Dr. Scholl's moleskin" to put on the underneath side of the across the muzzle strap to soften it.* That'll help some.

My Puff learned to tolerate it because it meant going somewhere she wanted to go.* After she stopped trying to paw off the muzzle strap, we negotiated a compromise -- I'd leave that strap loose enough so that I could hook a finger under it and take it off (or put it back on) in just a few seconds.* It stayed off as long as she was in control and back on whenever it looked like she wouldn't be.*

I've stopped using ours because I noticed a band of grayer hair across her yellow fur where the muzzle strap lies.* Maybe it's coincidence but in case it's not, we've switched to the GL "Easy Walk"
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have used the GL and a prong, and found the prong a much better tool.

Granted the flyer in the GL package says that the dog that fights against the collar is probably the one that needs it the most, but when I put the GL on Grace she has come very close to smashing her head on the pavement to get it off, throws herself on her back and refuses to move...in the middle of crossing the street....

I pull the prong out, she sits like an angel at my feet WANTING the collar on so we can go for a walk....

Guess which I prefer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast