potty training an adult dog

Thread: potty training an adult dog

modgirlreporter Guest

Defaultpotty training an adult dog

We've had Gigi about a month now and we've tried everything we can think of that worked with other dogs -- taking her out on a regular schedule, catching her going in the house and taking her outside, making a huge fuss about what a GOOD girl she is when she does go outside -- and nothing has worked. She'll go right in front of us and look puzzled when we say NO and take her to the door. When she gets to wandering and I think she has to pee, I take her outside. I've tried taking her and putting her on the lead and leaving her, and I've tried putting a leash on and walking around the yard with her. She'll sniff a bit and look around a bit and then she wants to come back in. I've tried taking her and George out together and making a fuss when he goes, i.e., "WHAT A GOOD BOY HE IS! LOOK, HE PEED OUTSIDE!" Nope. Doesn't do a thing. She'll look at me and look at him and ... want to come back inside. Where, as often as not, she pees on the floor within minutes. I really think she doesn't understand the difference between outside and inside or that she doesn't understand we want her to eliminate outdoors. I think if she did understand that, she'd do it. She's very eager to please, otherwise. What are we doing wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: potty training an adult dog

Are you in the same room with her when she pees on the floor? I would try keeping her tethered to you indoors so that you can catch her before she starts going on the floor. I took in an "older" dog (6 months) who had become accustomed to going potty in her former basement, livingroom, kitchen, wherever. It took a bit longer to housetrain her, and in the end I had to tether her to me, but it worked.

Good luck. Are you telling her Good girl, good pee pee? and Go pee as she is going? that might help too?
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How old is she? do you use a crate?

Potty training an adult can be done but its not always easy. A friend of mine had to do it when she adopted her black male, Bruce. What worked for her was sticking to a strict routine as you would with a puppy. It took a while but she got there in the end. I think the important thing is to not set the dog up for failure. In other words, the dog should be crated or under your COMPLETE supervision until progress is made.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Training an adult is exactly the same as training a pup. The dog is never left unsupervised. It has very limited areas of access within the house. If you are distracted or can't watch them for some reason, they are either tethered to you or in a crate period. It seems harsh but it is for their own good (and your sanity). Potty training is especially tough for dogs that are used to living in their own waste but it can be done.

I think you've got the right idea but when you take her out, don't come back in until she goes. She should have to go about 5-10 min after eating at a minimum. When she potties in the yard, praise like crazy. I mean make a fool of yourself. If your neighbors aren't worried about your sanity then you aren't praising enough. I'd also keep her on leash until she goes so she can't be out wandering around. This is a case of business first, play later. If you take her out and she doesn't potty, she goes in the crate or is tethered to you. Then try again in a few minutes.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Is Gigi the Basset? My Dad had a BH and he went through HELL trying to housebreak that dog. They can be as stubborn as the day is long.

modgirlreporter Guest

Gigi is the Lab; George is the basset and he's already trained. I had hoped that his good example would help train Gigi, as it did last time we had a second dog. Rosie had been an outdoor dog all her life but a week following George and his routine and she was trained, just like that. But that's not working with Gigi at ALL.

Part of the problem, I think, is that she squats and pees in one motion and doesn't give a sign (that we recognize) ahead of time that she's going to do it, or we could grab a leash and hurry outdoors. Seriously, she can get up as if to stretch and WHAM, there it is.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I adopted Ernie when he was 3. He wasn't house trained.

I taught him the same way I taught kassa as a pup. He was allowed in one room and if he peed I dragged him outside and shut the door. He hated being shut out. Each time he went outside i made a big deal about it and treated him.
    If went while I was outside with him I praised him and said toilet.

Unfortunately he still pees (marks)inside when we go to someone elses house so I have to leave him outside.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/