OUtside eating objecst .... rocks, grass, twigs...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUtside eating objecst .... rocks, grass, twigs...

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultOUtside eating objecst .... rocks, grass, twigs...

I love taking Rowan outside but she is contstantly eating 'crap' she shouldn't be.
    I know she is a baby.. but feel bad that I can't just let her be and play when she is outside. (No, I don't have a playpen for her). :-[
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: OUtside eating objecst .... rocks, grass, twigs...

typical lab puppy..

I swear Ender's first two commands after "sit" were "LEAVE IT" and "DROP" We had lots of practice
    ~Lindsay

Bailey's getting so much better at this as she grows, so hang in there & be consistant with use of commands like "Leave It" & "Drop It".
    It gets to be a lot at first, but she'll catch on.
    At the beginning of the summer I took Bailey to my husbands softball games & this was great practice for us (with cigarette butts & trash on the ground) & by the end of the summer I didn't have to tell her to leave anything hardly at all! (she was just ignoring it)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

it can be real bad. my guys is 6.5 months and still a pain the butt. Up until 1 month ago , we could not even take him in the yard without a leash. then we got professional e-collar trainer and now its easy to control it and he is leaving so much more on his own, all without the leash.

Once he gets about 6 months, you can put on a different collar, but use a professional trainer to show you how to do it correctly. They just need to learn the boundries. Clicker training can work too I presume. I have no expereice with it though.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

gers001 -- you sure are big on the e-collar and it seems to be your solution for everything.

DCG - This can all be accomplished without one. Teach Rowan the command "leave it". There are two ways that I know to do this. I'll tell you the one I used and then one I learned later. I took an object that Sami wanted, like a stuffed animal, and put it on the floor. I had Sami on a leash. When she went for the object, I would give her a gentle pull in the opposite direction, saying "leave it" at the same time. Then I'd do it all over again. Continue to practice w/ different objects. Then you can move up to food.

The other way that it can be taught -- this is how our trainer did it, but Sami had already learned the other way -- is to take a small object (she used training treats) and put your foot over it. Lift your foot and show them the object and as soon as they go for it, put your foot back over it and say "leave it", so that the object is completely covered up. Repeat many times

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

How do I accomplish this if she wants to chew at my foot?? :-\ :-\
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    How do I accomplish this if she wants to chew at my foot?? :-\ :-\
    Use the first method

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    I had Sami on a leash.* When she went for the object, I would give her a gentle pull in the opposite direction, saying "leave it" at the same time.* Then I'd do it all over again.* Continue to practice w/ different objects.
    That is how I taught Cocoa (we were taught that in obdience). Yes, it does take a while, but I have been very persistant with it. Chad and Houston learned it without the leash, but Cocoa was a stubborn thing (still is at times).

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Another thing that helps is to take a cookie, have her sit, lie down, stand whatever, place it on the floor and tell her Leave it and don't let her have it. When she goes to get it, put her back (gently and firmly) in the spot she was in and repeat leave it. After a couple of leave it's and a few seconds, say "okay" and let her get it. Repeat until she gets Leave it means leaving it alone until you say okay. Then apply Leave it to everything else she wants to eat like rocks, etc.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Great advice from ThatMyGirl.

I assume you are supervising Rowan when she is outdoors? while you are working on 'LEAVE IT', distract her. Leave lots of pup-friendly toys outside and encourage her to play with them. Interacting with you is way more interesting then a twig on the ground.*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast