Cries when in training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cries when in training

DefaultCries when in training

Does anyone have experience with a dog that will cry everytime you give her a command. Sometimes Petals will whine and cry when you tell her to sit. She will sit but she won't like it. Is there something that I am missing? Why would she do this? Is she just trying to act out?

Just some of the question I have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cries when in training

she could be
    -bored
    -stressed
    -confused
    -a german shepherd (GSD's are notorious for whining at the drop of a hat, ;D)

How old? If Petals is still a wee pup; could just be puppy whining. I have one that barks when all the time (replace barking for whining here). He does it from excitement. Knows that commands usually mean something good is going to happen afterwards. It's embarrassing to take him on a walk. He's so excited he barks the first few blocks! :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think she is acting out, because she isn't in control at the moment.
    Olie

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Are you making training FUN? Be sure to include some playtime w/your work. It's a great form of praise -- after a well-done exercise, let her retrieve a ball or play pully w/a toy or whatever.

Also, take extra care not to BARK your commands. I've seen people (okay, mosty men) reduce their timid doggie souls to pools of goo by putting on these huge commanding voices: SUNSHINE, SIT!

She is about 7 months now. I kind of get the feeling that she is scared. Dweck, my commands increase when she doesn't listen. So it is a nice little "Petals, sit" and no corrective action up to the point of "PETALS!! SIT!!!" with a big corrective action. It is a progresion that she goes thru. She will do this if I have a treat and tell her to sit and she will do the back up to sit thing and give a little cry.

I get the feeling that she doesn't like taking the follower role .

I'm wondering if she has conditioned you to stop after she cries? Not sure, just a thought - and if so she is definitely just "talking back". Just ignore it for awhile and see if she stops.

Some dogs do not need to talked loudly at, they actually respond better with a cool, calm, voice. Being assertive does not necessarily mean volume. Just a suggestion...hard to decipher with the limited information here.

I'm wondering if she has conditioned you to stop after she cries? Not sure, just a thought - and if so she is definitely just "talking back". Just ignore it for awhile and see if she stops.

Some dogs do not need to be talked loudly at, they actually respond better with a cool, calm, voice. Being assertive does not necessarily mean volume. Just a suggestion...hard to decipher with the limited information here.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by shamrox

She is about 7 months now. I kind of get the feeling that she is scared. Dweck, my commands increase when she doesn't listen. So it is a nice little "Petals, sit" and no corrective action up to the point of "PETALS!! SIT!!!" with a big corrective action.
    This may sound odd (or harsh), but are you 100% sure she knows what you want? Until a command really takes hold, you should be prepared to help. So ---

Petals, sit!

And she doesn't.

Petals. sit!

And she doesn't and begins to whimper.

At that point, especially w/a 7 month old, I'd be taking the collar and guiding it up while guiding the heinie end down, so she'd have no choice but to sit. And once more "Petals, sit!"

And then: GOOD GIRL! HOW PRETTY!! NICE JOB!!!!! She can't help but succeed.

I only collar-correct when I know Wesley knows what I'm asking and either isn't paying attention or is being obstinate about it. But he's 6.5 w/titles, not 7 months and still learning!

Hope this helps! ;D

Dweck,

I know she knows what she is doing. It would be different if it was a new command, or if it was because I would correct her. She has known the "sit" command since she was about 10 weeks old. I can tell her sit, and you can tell that she knows what I am talking about, but she just doesn't want to do it so she will whine on the way down. Sometimes she will even do it on the first time. i will say "petals, sit!" and she will start to sit and whine on the way down.

Now sometimes she doesn't do this at all. It is weird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast