Picking up new puppy tomorrow...now I have 2, advice please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking up new puppy tomorrow...now I have 2, advice please!

DefaultPicking up new puppy tomorrow...now I have 2, advice please!

Well, we got our chocolate (female) over the summer & just adore her. She is 4 months old. Potty trained, crate trained. Still learning, though. Great dog.
    We just picked out a 6 week old black (male) tonight & the kids are dying to bring him home tomorrow. We've heard from a lot of people that it is a good idea to get 2 dogs together so they can be companions to each other.
    Any advice on training 2 at the same time? They should each have their own crate, right?
    Do I take them out (potty time) together. Do I try to have them on the same schedule?
    Luckily, I am home now & have the time to work with them.
    I just need to know what has worked for all of you multiple dog owners.
    I won't be breeding. They will both be fixed.
    Oh, and I am due with our 3rd child mid-November. I thought we'd better get the puppy now before the baby comes.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Picking up new puppy tomorrow...now I have 2, advice please!

Yes you are going to need 2 crates. That is their HOME. They need to feel like that is theirs. I take all my puppers out together unless Maggie gets to out of hand and is being a labratigger then I would take Dakota out alone. Now it doesn't matter they both are hoppy puppers.
    If you haven't I would look into getting a trainer and start classes with the both of them as soon as the new puppy has finished his shots. A trainer will be able to help you through issues that you might get into with 2 puppies.
    Good luck and we would ALL LOVE to see pictures over in Lab Chat!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Wow...a 4 month old, a 6 week old and a baby on the way. My hat goes off to you!

Can I ask why you are getting the pup at 6 weeks old? techincally the pup is far too young to leave the litter. No reputable breeder will sell a pup before it is 8 weeks old. Bear in mind that if you get a 6 week old the pup will miss out on essential social skills he would have learned from his dam and littermates in those final weeks.

Yes, they will need separate crates AND lots of individual time alone with you. Be prepared for some hard work.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

No advice here but wow! Good luck!!! You are one brave lady for taking up the challenge!

I am single no kids and I still get a bit overwhelmed taking care of my 9 month old puppy and can't imagine adding another one now
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

I thought that 6 weeks (actually 7 weeks on Friday) was a little young too. So I callled my vet today and the breeder of my chocolate and they both said it would be ok. Maybe because I am home all day and maybe because there is another dog here. Anyway, I am sure I am in for a bunch of sleepless nights. I would never get a dog from a breeder that wasn't recommended from my vet. We made that mistake with our sheltie. Turns out that we know the family from little league also. I'm pretty confident that everything will be great. Crazy, but great
    Thanks for the advice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball
    No advice here but wow! Good luck!!! You are one brave lady for taking up the challenge!

I am single no kids and I still get a bit overwhelmed taking care of my 9 month old puppy and can't imagine adding another one now
    I agree!! I'm married with no kids & was so over-welmed with my 6 month old Bailey at first (getting better now) I couldn't imagine another one for awhile. My husband & I are at work all day, so that's where you have more time to spend with them then we do!

Good luck & post pictures when your new one comes home!!

Vets don't actually know everything, and yours is wrong in this case. A six wk old puppy should be with it's littermates and NO reputable breeder would let a pup go that young. I also question a breeder that would place a pup with a 4 month old puppy and child on the way...bad idea.

You might want to rethink this.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I agree. In November, your older puppy is going to be starting adolescence, your younger dog is going to be teething, and you're going to be up at all hours with the new human baby.

Wait till your puppy is at LEAST a year (personally, I prefer 3-5 years between dogs, but a year is a bare minimum) and fully trained before you attempt to bring in a new puppy.

I just came to this board looking for some advice and tips from those of you who have had 2 puppy's at once. Our lab now is one of the greatest dogs I have ever owned. I'd like to think that we, my family, has had a lot to do with that. We train & train and don't forsee this being a huge problem. Only a welcomed addition to this family and hopefully a nice companion for Gertie.
    I am sure I am not the only person in the world who got a puppy & then realized how great it would be to get another one.
    It was well thought out and I have no reservations about it.
    I am a stay at home mom. 2 older sons in school. Right now, just me & the dogs for the next 2 months until the baby gets here.
    So once again, any tips, other than don't get the dog, would be appreciated.
    Thanks...

Trickster is offline Senior Member

No one is trying to criticize your choices. It just seems like a lot to take on. The majority of people wait at least a year between puppies for their own sanity. Just because one dog is a perfect angel does not mean to say the next one will be.

We train & train and don't forsee this being a huge problem
    Unfortunately, this will change when you add a new pup into the mix. I also think the likelyhood of you being able to "train and train" when your baby arrives is unrealistic. In the swing of things 2 months is not a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast