Pup and Kitten

Thread: Pup and Kitten

DefaultPup and Kitten

My roomie and I are thinking about getting a kitten, not just because we love animals, but we think she or he would keep Toby company when we leave him alone. Toby is about 4 1/2 month now so he is still pretty young. He has been exposed to cats before (never kittens) and he doesnt seem to dislike them. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with bringing in a new kitten to meet a lab puppy. Good idea or Bad idea? Depend on the kitten/puppy? Suggestions appreciated! ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Pup and Kitten

Dakota LOVES our cats.* At 3 months her and the cat were playing and the cat went to bat at her and got her 3rd eye lid and cut it.* 3 vet trips and a good bunch of money later we no longer let the cat and dog play together with out someone being THERE with them.
    Heres a picture of Dakotas RIGHT eye See its all red.

This is Dakota and Dusty our kitty a few weeks ago

aw how cute they both are! Poor Dakota...but i've always heard the cat is also dominant of the dog! hehe i think thats so ironic

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

Thank you~
    I think as long as you are there to WATCH them both its find to get a kitty. If you can't be there to watch the 2 of them then they need to be in diffrent rooms if your puppy isnt crated.

If I were doing this I would make sure the cat didn't have its front claws. Ex-sister-in-law has a one-eyed dog because a cat attacked her when she was a pup. I would also make sure playtime was supervised until I knew they got along. The third thing is I would get a litter box that the dog couldn't access.
    Olie

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Getting a kitten as a companion for your puppy is probably not the best idea. Kittens are very fragile and a boisterous Lab puppy could easily unintentionally hurt one. Likewise, kittens have sharp claws that could damage your pup.

You should also bear in mind dogs interact with cats VERY differently then they do with other dogs. For example, my dogs ignore the cats around the house. One of my cats is very dog friendly (rubs around the dogs, grooms them, no fear, etc.) and the dogs just aren't interested.

A better solution would be wait until your pup is at least a year old and then get another Lab.*

Well as much as i would loooove to get another lab i don't think thats an option for a while :-) Since Toby is mine, the kitten would be my roommates and we have agreed that she will take care of the kitten most of the time. Therefore, its necessities will be kept in her room and we plan to keep them separated when we aren't home. Toby is crated when i'm not home but i still don't want the cat roaming around till he or she is declawed. My roommate also knows that Toby is number 1 since he was there before both her and the kitten so if things don't go well we won't have a problem figuring alternate options.

CLAWS OR NO CLAWS.....I say no lol. Kaycie is deathly afriad of cats now. When she was a puppy i lived with my mom who had 2 cats. The cat's are skiddish toward anyone they dont know anyway. Kaycie never chased them or anything, ok maybe a few times lol. But really the Cat's start it ALL. A couple of months ago Kaycie was in my arms, (yah before the 42 lb weigh in lol) and MiMi jumped completely up into my arms trying to bite Kaycie. The cat is from the devil lol. It's so bad now that Mimi will hunt for Kaycie when we go to my moms. The cat is on "lockdown" when we come home. I think it might would work if your pup was younger and you could bring them up together...it STILL might work. Try taking him over to friend's that have Cats and see how he acts around alot of cats. And try to get a kitten that was brought up in a home with dogs. better luck that way. Hope things go well. Let us know what you decide.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Well as much as i would loooove to get another lab i don't think thats an option for a while :-) Since Toby is mine, the kitten would be my roommates and we have agreed that she will take care of the kitten most of the time.* Therefore, its necessities will be kept in her room and we plan to keep them separated when we aren't home.* Toby is crated when i'm not home but i still don't want the cat roaming around till he or she is declawed.* My roommate also knows that Toby is number 1 since he was there before both her and the kitten so if things don't go well we won't have a problem figuring alternate options.
    There is no problem in getting a kitten, I just wanted to point out that the kitten won't be a very good companion for your dog.

Also, please don't declaw your new kitten. It is cruel and unnecessary. A cats claws are comparable to our fingers. The operation can cause them immense pain and they loose the ability to defend themselves. Anyone who considers this type of surgery for their cat should ask themselves if they could function without their fingers. The answer is NO.