When does a puppy begin to let you know......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does a puppy begin to let you know......

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen does a puppy begin to let you know......

That she has to go outside to relieve herself? Rowan is only 9 weeks old tomorrow and I know it is very early yet but wondered when it will 'click' for her??
    (She whines when she is in her crate)
    TIA
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: When does a puppy begin to let you know......

There is a great post about when you should walk a puppy!!!!! ALOT!!!! But when she is out of her crate I would suggest 2 things.
    1)Get bells!!!! When she is about to go out you ring the bells and if she puts her nose to the bells congratulate her and take her out. You will be suprised...within days she will be ringing the bells everytime she goes out.

2)I didn't have bells at the time I got Petals so everytime she needed to go out we made her sit in front of the door, then let her out. Now she will walk next to the door and look at me, but when she really has to go she will sit in front of the door.

Where would I get some of these bells?

Our cat has a scratching post with a bell attached by twine and we had to put it up cause Rowan wouldn't leave it alone. :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

We got our bells from poochie-pets.net
    ~Lindsay

There are three times when a puppy needs to go out, and you can control all three. When it wakes up. Right after it has eaten. And during play. Take her out right after the first two and before the third. When you get her outside and she goes make a big deal out of it like you just won the lottery because you have. Give her a small food reward. Then start watching for signs that she has to go out. If she is sniffing around on the floor and turning in circles she is looking for a spot. Oona was pretty much housebroken at 10 weeks but we still had accidents. I say we because when it did happen it was usually my fault for not following those first three rules.
    Olie

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Good advice from Oonas Dad.

Puppies don't know when they need do go out until they are a little older. I can't say exactly when because it depends on the dog and the consistency of your routine. Puppies are like babies --they don't have a lot of bladder control. This of course improves with age. You can minimize accidents and speed up the toilet training process by sticking to a strict routine. Limiting free roam time in the house for the first few months will help immensely.

BaileyB is offline Junior Member

Bailey will get "that look" and then try to wander away from me.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Vigilance, it's all about vigilance. If you can't keep your eye on Rowan, crate her. And routine, routine, routine. Learn how long after she eats that she needs to make potty, how long after she is awake, how long after she comes back inside, etc. etc. If you keep your guard up, she will learn the ropes in no time. 9 weeks is pretty young for the lightbulb to turn on, but it will eventually. In all honesty, I think it was about the 16 week mark before we stopped having accidents in the house completely. They get excited, you forget to watch them, pee happens.

Just hang in there. Don't expect too much at this age. She is still a baby. Just keep your vigilance up and she will do fine. At this point it's all about the human being trained to watch the pup and get the pup outside imo. It does get better. And easier.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

I would also add one thing. Take the water supply away at 8pm and don't let her have any until morning. This will help her to not have to relieve herself so many times in the middle of the night.
    Olie

Yes, I take her water away at 8!
    I am happy to report we have had three nights in a row where she has slept for at least 6 hours!! (And I haven't had mid night outside runs).
    WHOOOOO HOOOO Rowan!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast