Puppy nipping at kids ~ help wanted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy nipping at kids ~ help wanted.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy nipping at kids ~ help wanted.

What can I do to help the kids when Rowan runs after them nipping at their pant legs and feet. They try to clap and yell "no" to her but she doesn't listen to them.

Advice please.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy nipping at kids ~ help wanted.

We had this problem with Petals. You need to start with "No Bite". My wife learned to carry around a bone or chew toy with her at all times. When Petals would start to bite at her legs she will stop and say in a stern voice "No Bite", then give her the chew toy and when Petals took it she would get a "good girl". I understand that you think this will never change but it does.

I find it works for me and she listens but whenver the kids are walking around the house she is after them and I am not always in the immediate area and she DOES NOT listen to them. :-[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well it worked for me and she didn't listen "at first" to my wife. I know it is hard for you to tell the kids, but you need to tell the kids to be consistent. The biggest problem is that kids sometimes want to play then other don't. That is very confusing to a dog. As long as everyone is in the same boat, then it will get better.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

She isn't going to listen to them.* They are her littermates and they'll be the last ones she'll learn to pay attention to.* *My kids are preteens and teenagers -- and Sami still listens better to me.* My kids have learned to say "I'm gonna tell Mom" and THEN Sami will follow their command.*

By the way, how old are your kids?* I hope they know that this is 100% puppy behavior.* Are you using a leash on Rowan in the house?* That might help.* Perhaps they can use the leash and give Rowan a small, gentle correction.* It might help if they were more specific than "NO" ... that's an awfully broad term.* Try "off" or "no bite" or "no jump".* *I also agree w/ Shamrox suggestion above!

LJ Guest

Totally natural puppy behavior, but problematic in a human "pack". It sounds like your kids need an effective solution that is easy. What happens if they just freeze when they see the puppy coming? It's pretty likely that the puppy is aroused by the movement of your childrens' legs and that by simply ceasing the movement before the puppy has a chance to latch on, then the temptation should be removed....for the moment. Then the kids could call you and you could take the puppy away from the area.

I would also suggest that you limit the puppy's unsupervised access to the kids. Keep the pup with you when you're going to be involved in tasks that won't allow you to be present with the kids. Make sure that the kids do spend some supervised time with the pup each day, doing things such as playing a short game of fetch, handling the puppy, and giving the puppy treats.

As the pup grows and matures, the behavior will cease.

Good tips!!!
    Thanks everyone. ;D

I am in the same boat as you with Gannon, he goes after my 4 year old, all the time. She freezes like posted above, and she screams no bite and off to him,.....it doesn't help. He goes right for her crotch(sorry) or her butt and just goes nuts ripping at her clothes. The first few days we had him this freaked her out and she didn't want to be around him but now she is getting more used to it. He still has not changed and it has been a month... It is just puppy behavior but I will be sooooo glad when it is over. I do plan on asking the trainer what we can have her do to help it.

Oh yeah we tried water in the face, I gave her a squirt bottle, yeah, didn't work he just tried to catch the water in his mouth, loved it. Tried the having a toy thing at all times too but he still prefers her butt. ;D >

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon
    IOh yeah we tried water in the face, I gave her a squirt bottle, yeah, didn't work he just tried to catch the water in his mouth, loved it.
    Add some vinegar to that water.

Add some vinegar to that water.
    Will do, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast