HOW TO KEEP OFF THE BED!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO KEEP OFF THE BED!

DefaultHOW TO KEEP OFF THE BED!

When we first got Kaycie I tried to let her sleep in the bed with us before we got the Kennel, She hated the bed(now it's where she loves to chew EVERYTHING).* She never once whined in the kennel and loves it.* Now it's gotten WAY too big for my little car, and almost too small for her lol, and instead of another kennel, I'm wanting to transition over to a blanket beside the bed.* The blanket is there and she will lay on it, and chew her toys on it, but as soon as i climb into bed, she's right there beside me.* lol* It wouldn't be such a problem if it was just me and her....but DAD takes up a little bit of room, lol and we can't all three fit.* So what are the best ways to keep her off of the bed COMPLETELY?* I started out with a firm NO, and put her down. Then she'd sneak around to the other side of the bed and jump up.* Next, I went to throwing her toy down onto the blanket beside the bed.* She think's it's a game, and jumps back up.* ANY suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: HOW TO KEEP OFF THE BED!

You can tie her to something.

Just keep in mind, once you stop letter her on the bed - she can never again go back on it. NEVER!

You can also have a few bad night sleeps.... Anytime she jumps up, you say off and show her where to lie down. After a few nights, she will figure it out.

hmm tie her lol, she's the dog that's chewed 4 leashes in 1/2 trying to lead me around lol, if i had a really sturdy something, or a door knob near i would but we dont.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You can put change in a glass jar. when she jump up, shake it load. make sure you do it at the exact moment she attempts to jump up - not 15 seconds later when she is lying down.

WOW! now that one is a good idea. I'm going to go home and try that one.

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

I don't think you have to ban her from the bed for life after she is trained. We trained our Phoebe to get off the bed when we ask and she knows that when we say "off" we mean business and she doesn't get back on. She sleeps on a sleeping bag by the bed. Just be consistent in whatever method you use to get her off the bed, and keep some treats and bones and goodies on the blanket on the floor. Make her lay down on it and sit with her there, giving her treats and such. That seemed to work for us.
    Becca & Phoebe

Yah i think maybe i'll make a palet on the floor and crash there with her for a few nights.

The change could scare her a bit, but it is effective - its all about timing. If you do it too late he is going to think lying down is a bad thing. You do it too early, she may be afraid to go near the bed. As soon as she is in the act of jumping up, say "off" and shake once - all at the same time. let us know how it goes - it may take a few tries

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

A leash/collar/OFF combo is best. Practice it with the bed, yes, but also elsewhere.

Of course, the best way to address this problem is not to let the dog sleep in your bed in the first place, but that horse has already left the barn!

So we tried the advice given from gerst001. Instead of a glass jar, i use the piggy bank beside the bed. Let me tell you, it WORKS lol. For some reason I had a feeling this would be good for us. I would say she is NOT afraid of the bed considering she props her head on the edge while i'm getting ready for work lol. The first two times it scared her pretty good. The third time, she got down and went straight to lay on her bed. Fourth time she tried sneaking around the other side, but I told her our famous line "dont even think about it" lol and to her bed she went, all pouty lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast