STILL BITING!

Thread: STILL BITING!

DefaultSTILL BITING!

> I am about at my wits end!!! My dog is 6 months old, has all of his adult teeth and STILL bites like a maniac! Nothing I do works and I am about tired of it. People have stopped coming to the house because he chews on their fingers, and they have stopped inviting him along to theirs! What am I doing wrong? I've tried getting up and walking away (he follows and tries to nip at my hanging hands)...I say "no bite" every single time he does it...I've tried growling at him (vet's suggestion)...I've tried making him stay down (trainer's suggestion)...NOTHING WORKS! Is he destined to be a biter or should I still just chalk this up to puppy-hood? I don't know what to do!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: STILL BITING!

This might not be a popular opinion, but at this point I'd probably inflict a little pain when he bit me. ;D At 6 months of age, he should be past this (maybe save an occasional nip). Have you tried pinching his nose or holding his tongue down? If you do this, you must do it at the moment his teeth meet your fingers/arm/legs, etc ... or he won't make the connection.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, we could probably say a few things...but mostly I'd say that he doesn't care what you say because you have not asserted yourself as the alpha. A dog doesn't misbehave...it's usually the owners who fail to teach it how to behave. More exercise, start NILIF and go to obedience class...oh and like thatsmygirl said, I'd probably clamp the dog's mouth shut and say NO BITE.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

Tuggers I have the same issue. I have tried the wimpering (vets suggestion) Walking away, Saying no. He seems determined to bite at my hands.

I went through one course for training but they didnt suggest anything on that. We are going to go to another trainer and work at it more. I also have the big issue with jumping. He doesnt jump if you are in training mode, but all other times he does.

Don't know if this will help,but the word OFF seems to work best for our dogs, My vet told me they catch onto that word faster than down,no because of the way it sounds.

I would go back to basics with this guy.
    Let him know you ARE the undisputed leader of his pack and he is not allowed to put his mouth on you.

Feed him after you eat, make him go up the steps and out the door after you, do not let him on sofas and the bed or in any position higher than you.
    When you feed him, do it piece by piece for the first few minutes so he makes the connection he only eats when you say so and decide to feed him. And that this food comes from YOU and nowhere or nobody else.
    Before he gets a toy, treat anything, make him sit. stay. Whatever command you want to ue, make sure he is performing for it. And obeying you before he gets what he wants. Use an authoritative tone. Act like you are the boss and he will eventually make that connection.

What about when he does this isolating him in his crate for 5-10 minutes with no attention whatsoever from anyone in the house. You could try that also.

Good luck. He is a willful type guy and when they finally do "get it" they're the most loyal wonderful adult dogs. Dont give up on him yet!

Yes, go back to the basics!

Also, have you tried formal training. a professional trainer on the e-collar would be great. just teach leave it without the collar and enforce it with the collar. the dog would figure it out real quickly. I do not recommend it without a professional though.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Lots of good suggestions above. I've heard people put something nasty-tasting on their hands -- like hot pepper sauce -- maybe that would help in the short term. It is well past the time of puppy chewing though.

chuckbearob is offline Member

My wife somehow managed to change this behaviour to licking our hands etc.... she says 'kiss' and rewards Chuckle when he licks instead of biting.

In the early stages, you have to move your hands away quickly before he decides to bite. say 'good boy/girl' when he/she licks and treat quickly. Still not sure how she did it, but he now licks instead of biting. Of course, this doesn't help with people who don't like dogs as they are scared of being licked too. But better than drawing blood or anything dramatic like that!

Vivian - mum to Chuckle, Bevan & Robbie

kassabella is offline Senior Member

You have had some good advise. Both kassa and Ernie nipped. It is horrible so understand.
    I yelped loudly and said no bite. You do have to be consistent. I also put hot chilly on my hands and any where else Kassa chewed. Ernie has been different as he was adopted at 3.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/