Best item to train walking

View Poll Results: What is the best way to train your dog to walk on leash?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard collar

4 50.00%
  • Gentle leader (head harness)

2 25.00%
  • harness (under body leash attach)

0 0%
  • harness (leash attaches to back)

2 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best item to train walking

DefaultBest item to train walking

I know we are too young to start, but I just want to start looking and price shopping and don't want to buy the wrong items.

Right now the gentle leader really appeals to me.. I wanted to poll and see what the results were that way though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Best item to train walking

We bought a harness today for Rowan but I don't know which kind it is ~ re: your poll. :-[
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Here is my very humble opinion -- the harnesses, gentle leaders and prong collars are tools.* They do not TEACH your dog anything.* The teaching part is still up to you.* ;D*

I taught Sami on a flat collar only.* It was frustrating.* It was annoying.* It was sometimes close to pushing me right over the edge of sanity. * But I stuck with it and today she walks REALLY well on a flat collar.* I taught all of this by stopping completely whenever she pulled.* I would only go again when there was slack in the lead.*

I also taught the command "no pull" and if she even starts to get to the end of her lead now, I can say that, and she will either slow way down, or usually she'll pause long enough for me to catch up.* One other command I taught was "slow" -- this works well for icy situations, which we seemed to encounter a lot last winter.*

Training on a flat collar takes three things:* lots of time, loads of determination, and absolute consistency.* It can be incredibly frustrating, but the end result makes it worth while!* *

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

What do you do if your 8 week old pup sits and refuses to move?? :
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

kaytris is offline Senior Member

let her drag the leash around for a while till she ignores it.

then pick up the leash and follow her, keeping the leash loose.

then, start praising and rewarding her when she is close to you, and start choosing the direction you want to go.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    let her drag the leash around for a while till she ignores it.

then pick up the leash and follow her, keeping the leash loose.

then, start praising and rewarding her when she is close to you, and start choosing the direction you want to go.
    Yup... this is exactly what I did. And when I was trying to teach "heel" I just held a treat in my left hand and she would go wherever the treat went (Highly food motivated dog).

At this age, I had the leash on Sami all the time -- both in the house and out. The only time it came off was when she went into her crate. Within a week or so, it was no big deal to her.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with ThatsMyGirl.

Personally, my dogs start out on a regular buckle collar and leash. When we begin formal training I switch to a rope leash (collar and leash in one). It works in a similar way as a choke chain when positioned correctly up against the ears. This is also how I teach the very important 'HEEL' command. Almost all gundog owners/trainers use rope leads for training here in the UK. They are so damn simple and most importantly, they work. Technically it is just a normal leash so I don't really consider it in the same category as a Halti or prong. I wish more people would use them.

KTB

We live in NYC so we have been taking him out on a leash since the day he came home (we know all about the danger and consulted with our vet to do it as safely as possible - it is the only option when you live 10 stories up!). If we are going out for the bathroom we use a standard small collar. If he is going to walk any distance we use the harness (clip in on the top). It was less a control thing and more a safety issue - it seems a whole lot more gentle on his neck. It works really well and he is totally acclimated to the leash/harness after two weeks. One thing we found is that he does better walking if he doesn't know where we are. If we carry him a block or two away in an unfamiliar direction he walks perfectly. We keep it to a few short walks (a square block or two at a time) a day and have found that hand feeding on the walk and stopping to do a little training here and there also helps a great deal.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I didn't vote because it depends on 100 other things that you don't ask about in your survey. How much time have you worked on heeling? What is the temperment of the dog in question? With how much ease/difficulty does he/she pick up things?

My recommendation for heeling equipment is this: only as much as it takes to get the job done.

That said, I agree w/That'sMyGirl 100%.

E-collar needs to be an option

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast