need to switch trainers?

Thread: need to switch trainers?

Defaultneed to switch trainers?

I have a question about puppy kindergarten. The training club I signed up with is very reputable; however, the trainer seems less than ideal...

My ten week old yellow, Gabby, is a fairly submissive puppy- but the trainer expects us to maintain the leadership position (her on her back, etc) for 8-10 minutes. I'd prefer to do it three or four times for shorter intervals- Gabby has a short attention span and I want this to positive.

Secondly, she insists that Gabby be guided into a sit or a stand each time- when Gabby already knows how to do it on command and with hand signals.

Finally- and this is the most frustrating- the trainer keeps making comments about labs- "you know how labs are.." "well, pinch collars are designed for crazy dogs like labs" "isn't that just like a lab?"

Should I ask the training club to allow me to switch to a different trainer or just deal with it? I want this to be positive for Gabby- thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: need to switch trainers?

I would get rid of her. just for the plain fact that you aren't comfortable with her, REMEMBER if momma aint happy aint nobody happy lol So gabby probably is thinking the same thing.

for a pup doing anything 'forced' [like being on her back] for so long is IMO completely ridiculous! even our intensively trained hunt-test labs would never be subjected to such a long period of any one thing at such a young age. [and being put in that submissive posture is VERY stressful for a dog!!!!]
    as you have most likely observed, they have the attention span of a gnat right now......
    IMO this 'trainer' has some pretty severe control issues, [as in, he uses his 'superiority' to control people!!!]and his comments to you are unprofessional at best, even amounting to personal abuse.
    a trainer is supposed to mold you into a confident, happy, functioning TEAM, not put you/your dog down, much less suggest training is going to be X-hard because the dog is a particular breed [which BTW labs are considered EXCEPTIONALLY intelligent, biddable, trainable, tractable, thus the overwhelmingly popular use of them as Guide Dogs, hellllooo Mr. Ignoranttrainer......
    RUN, do not walk, to the nearest exit....and do others a favor, document & report his behavior. he isn't doing any pup or owner any favors here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I agree. Cardinal rule of instructing.. never, ever disparage someone's choice of breed, regardless of how much you dislike it.

Complain, in writing to the head of the training club (be as specific as possible, mentioning direct quotes/experiences) and insist on switching classes.

Dani is offline Senior Member

why on earth would you be alpha rolling a puppy? That is completely ludacris. Puppy kidnergarten should be about socialization, learning some basics, etc. Not putting fear into your pup.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Agree with Dani....why would anyone make you roll a puppy on its back...this alpha stuff with labs is totally out of hand, I think. Yes, your puppy needs your direction and leadership, but not that way...nor do they need it that way (ok, my opinion only maybe, and I don't know a lot). Patience, repetition, and consistency....not rough techniques, or showin' 'em who's boss...sheesh.

At puppy kindergarten, mine also knew sit with a finger signal...I started just moving my finger up and down and he'd sit; he still does it. I used that in puppy kindergarten; no one said anything.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above!

I have to add - what is it with trainers picking on labs? This is not the first time I hear about a trainer knocking down labs!!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

If you read the AKC standard for labs, part of it reads.....dog bred to perform as an efficient retriever of game with a stable temperament......disposition is kindly, outgoing, tractable nature....gentle ways, intelligence and adaptability.

I had an experience with a trainer knocking labs, and this is why:

A woman was going to keep mine (in her home) when we went on vacation.* She's been a trainer for many years, and an evaluator (or whatever they're called) for CDC and TPI....she's familiar with dogs.

When we spoke on the phone before meeting, when she found out he was a lab, she said that over the years she's hated seeing labs come to class so many times, because they've been so over-bred by anyone and everyone, they're not what labs are supposed to be (in temperament).* She wanted me to come to her home to meet her dogs and my dog together.....when there, she asked me to leave for 1 hour and come back..wanted to see how Tucker would be with her dogs (and I figured she wanted to check him out).* I felt uncomfortable after hearing her opinions of labs, but figured she'd spend some time with him and come to her own conclusions.

She liked him; said he had a wonderful temperament, and the week he stayed went great.* I'm not saying this as a pat on my dog's back, nothing like that.* Just wanted to share this experience as to what some trainers may be thinking.

I took mine to puppy kindergarten too.* He did ok there, but he didn't do everything as well as the other puppies. But I figured 1) he had a short attention span then, and 2) he'd come along with time.* And he did come along...