What is excercise at this young age?

Thread: What is excercise at this young age?

DefaultWhat is excercise at this young age?

Gannon is 9 weeks now. It is terribly hard to get him to run allot. I get out there with him and 4 different sized balls and toss them, kick them... but I have to be constantly yelling, calling him and running after the balls for him to pay any attention to them. If I have to keep that up I will(notice the HAVE to?? I am not a runner) but how long? Right now I try to do it like 3 times a day for about 10 minutes at a time. Sometimes I can keep his attention that long, most of the time he runs off and starts digging holes all over the yard or covering himself in soaking wet barkdust ??? Then I grab his attention for like 30 second intervals. I get as far away from him as possible when I get his attention so at least he has to sprint across the yard once before I lose him again....

Am I trying to hard, or not doing enough?

Also the rain has started here, it will be nasty for the next 8 months.... at what point can I let him run free around the yard and just watch from the covered porch to make sure he doesn't eat everything? Toss balls if he wants, but keep dry?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: What is excercise at this young age?

I think you are trying and expecting to much to early. I did the same thing. Dakota didn't really like balls till she was a good 3 months old.
    Your puppy should be getting no more than 5 mins of forced exercises a few times a day. (we did 15 mins total) at 9 weeks old Dakota still wanted just to be in the house and play.
    I started with little kitty size balls for Dakota and would roll them between my hands. once she got the idea they were pretty cool toys she would start to play with them. Then i would flick them a few inches in front of her and get her to bring them back. Now at 7 months I can kick a flattened socker or basketball pretty far and she will go after it (after releasing her from her wait).

Yeah, 9 weeks is a little early. Rocksy wasn't at all interested in exercise until she was about 3 months old too. The most she would ever do was the bum-tucking around the house really - apart from walks obviously.
    But now she is absolutely addicted to fetch. It took her a while, but one day something just clicked and every time we took her outside - whatever the weather - she would run straight off looking for her ball.
    It's a struggle to get her in sometimes.

Don't worry, it'll come. At the moment Gannon is still exploring this strange new world, and working out how much influence he can have on it (ie. by digging holes!). He'll soon snap out of it when it all becomes boringly familiar and he'll start looking for other ways to have fun - which is where fetch comes in!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexie wasn't into fetch at all at that age; she liked her chew toys. Still at 5 mos. she is not that into retrieving. She likes to get the ball, but I have to reward for her to return it to me. The other thing to think about doing is working on teaching Gannon how to sit and down. A little training (five minutes) here and there is good for them too.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Puppies have the attention span of a gnat. 9 weeks is too young understand the concept of fetch. Trying to make a pup focus on a task or game for more than a few minutes is too much. Don't worry --the fetch "lightbulb" will switch on in time...just give it a few months.* For now, STOP playing fetch. Give the pup a break. When you start playing it again, keep sessions down to just one or two retrieves. Soon he will be craving for more.

Also the rain has started here, it will be nasty for the next 8 months.... at what point can I let him run free around the yard and just watch from the covered porch to make sure he doesn't eat everything? Toss balls if he wants, but keep dry?
    You can let him loose in your yard (I'm assuming its fenced) when ever you feel he is reliable.

Bear in mind that as an adult dog, unless you have a LOT of land, letting him loose in a fenced yard is not proper exercise. Dogs need structured exercise; long walks, jogs, off leash running and exploring, playing with other dogs, swimming, retrieving, etc. etc., preferably off their own property. Dogs that spend too long just playing in their yards and not getting out much are often very unhappy.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Am I trying to hard, or not doing enough?

Yes. Be sure to ALWAYS KEEP IT FUN FOR YOUR LAB.

Probably never.

Labs are social creatures and usually want to be near you.

Buy a good umbrella, a rain suit, and some waterproof boots. The exercise will be good for both of you and you can do training along the way.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks guys. I had read how important exercise is for pups but there isn't much mention of what age it needs to start, just how long& how often I thought 5 minutes was the key at his age but since I couldn't keep his attention we did 10.

I do know that I will have to get wet, dirty, etc.. with this little guy and I have no problems at all taking him somewhere to play daily when he is vaccinated, taking him for walks(not runs!) etc... but that is different than 3-4x a day getting filthy in my own backyard :