jumping on counters

Thread: jumping on counters

Defaultjumping on counters

Hi everyone,

This is only my second post. To cut to the chase, I've owned several large breed dogs.* Spirit is my 1st pup in a long time.* I've never had a kitchen counter jumper...........until now, that is.* Any tips for discouragement?* Keep in mind, this is the MOST stubborn dog I have ever had.* I have used sprays, yelling.* astonished dissapointment - all to no avail.* Any tips would be appreciated. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP. SHE IS GETTING ON THE COUNTERS AS I WRITE AND I SUSPECT THERE MAY BE A MURDER TONIGHT >

Thanks,
    GC

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: jumping on counters

How old is the pup?

Counter surfing can be a toughy to break. Labs are so food motivated that they don't think about consequences. If they see food, they grab it. They are intelligent enough to know that food on the counter is within their reach. Really, the only way of being 100% certain your dog won't 'surf' is to keep the counters clear. You can try setting her up then correcting her but it won't be effective when you leave the house.

Thanks for replying trickster.* i was afraid that might be the answer i'd get.* To answer your quetions, she is four months old (black lab).* If I ever learn how to post a digital pic, I will.* Anyway, yes she pretty much does what she wants because, after all, she knows I won't hurt her and she doesn't give a flip is I scold her (except for the VERY short term). Please keep in mind I have always had dogs that need very strong guidance from an owner, i.e, rotweiler, shepards, chows so I'm no whimp when it comes to controlling my dogs.* HOwever, I think I've met my match with this little girl.* BTW, I did stop the crate.* Two reasons for that;* none of my other dogs were crated but I also had a house with a doggy door where they could let themselves out at will - now i have an apartment. Secondly, I want her to be protective and territorial of the entire house and, I've found that much less likelly with a crated dog.* I used the crate for potty traing mainly - another thing that's not going as well as I'd like.* Lastly, the cost is gastly for a crate to fit her size when I know I will not be using it that much.* She does sleep with me at night (my old rotty actually allows that ) and she will sleep in the bed the whole night most of the time.* She is very well trained on sit, come, no, give and sort of stay but she's still very young.* Chewing is CRAZY but we are working on that.* I just really don't want to have to keep her out of the kitchen (aside from when I'm in there).* There has always been a rule in my home with all my dogs to "get out of my kitchen" and before my adorable little Spirit, it was respected. ??? Just goes to show, I guess that not all big dogs are the same.* I seriously thought that if I could handle and train to perfection a Rotweiler and a chow/shepard mix, a doberman, etc., a Lab should be a breeze. HA - Jokes on me One more thing, I make sure she gets plenty of exercise. Anybody out there with more ideas, PLEASE join in. I have a totally open mind at this point.

GC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

i have the same problem with my 1 1/2 year old lab. i finally learn to teach her the "off" command after consisted use she doesn't surf the counters. she watches me make supper but no surfing and I give her a praise and a reward.

midnight's mom