Ear movements

Thread: Ear movements

DefaultEar movements

Slightly unusual topic this, I know, but does anyone else wonder what their lab is thinking when their ears are moving around all over the place?! Rocksy was watching TV earlier and one minute her ears were pinned back, the next they were relaxed and floppy. She seems to move them up, down, back and forwards depending on how she's feeling/what she's thinking. ???

Can anyone shed any light on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ear movements

My dogs do the same thing. Sometimes they'll be looking up at the ceiling or something and I'll wonder what they are looking at because I don't see a thing. Maybe their ears move when they hear different pitches/tones from the TV. I know mine will tilt their heads when they hear dogs bark on TV.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Dogs use several parts of their bodies to communicate what they are thinking and their ears are one of those parts. When the ears perk up and come forward that means they are interested in what they are looking at. When they tip their heads they are trying to pick up nuances to sound. If their ears are lying flat on their heads depending on other things that are happening with their body it could be a sign of submission or agression. A great book on this subject is How to Speak Dog by Stanley Coren. I have been in several incidents where I knew what the dog was going to do before the owner did, and in other situations I was able to avoid a confrontation before it esculated.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Oonas Dad - I'll try and get that book. Rocksy pins her ears to the side of her head quite a bit, and she certainly isn't an aggresive dog so it must be a submissive gesture for some reason...

Like I said there are other things going on and its a combination of elements that tell you whatthe dog is saying. When a dog is signaling submission the ears are back the eyes are wide open they are usually looking up at you. Agression, especially fear agression the ears are flat against the head the lips are curled back showing teeth, the tail may be between their legs because they are not feeling like they are in a dominant position.
    Olie