checklist for new addtion puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: checklist for new addtion puppy

seabreeze is offline Junior Member

Defaultchecklist for new addtion puppy

We are bringing home our yellow lab puppy in one month. She will be my first dog in 11 years and my 5 year old daughter's first ever. We get her at 10 weeks because of a pre-scheduled trip at 9 weeks that can not be changed.

I am a little out of practice. We plan to crate our dog and will use a gate to partition off part of our living room for her space. Her space will be on our wood floor and a friend has recommended I tape plastic underneath her space to limit wood floor damage until she becomes housebroken. I planned to also tape old rugs on top of the plastic. Her crate will fit inside her space, and I plan to make it very comfortable for her. I like the idea of purchasing a large crate that has a divider so she can grow into it. She will be coming to work with us, unfortunately she will not be able to be in my office, but my wife and I will be able to check on her every hour or so. I have a truck with a camper shell where she'll reside during work hours. Based on my research, I plan to feed her grain free diet... local stores carry California Natural and Innova. I also have a vet picked out. I plan to have her chipped for ID purposes.

That's about as far as my thinking has gone so far. I could use some advice on what to get in preparation of her arrival... a puppy checklist so to speak. For eaxample:
    Bathing- how often and what to use?
    Collar- Good idea for puppy or not?
    Brush- What type best for puppy?
    Bed for inside crate- recommendation?
    Chew toys- Plastic or natural?

Also if anyone can recommend a quintessential lab puppy reference book, I would appreciate it. Heck I'll take any advice right now!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Bathing- how often and what to use? --never if you can avoid it. Labs just don't need to be bathed unless they have rolled in something really nasty. The coat will lose it's natural oils if regularly bathed. If you have to use a puppy shampoo - not people shampoo.

Collar- Good idea for puppy or not? - get one, use it when he needs to be on a leash but don't leave it on otherwise. Too easy to get caught on something and cause injury. You will go through probably 2-3 sizes before adulthood so don't spend a lot - especially on the first one.

Brush- What type best for puppy? - zoom groom is good. furminator is used by some but can remove too much undercoat.

Bed for inside crate- recommendation? - [I]none until your pup has stopped chewing or has displayed that they will leave fabric alone. [/I]

Chew toys- Plastic or natural? Nylabones are better than anything else IMHO. Rawhide can cause blockages. Rawhide and pigs ears and such are really fatty and not a good treat IMO.

You didn't ask this but you should use a crate inside the camper. A bored puppy left alone in a camper bed will chew and will likely get hurt. Please be conscious of the temperature you are leaving the puppy in. I don't know where you live but on a typical spring day it could get very,very hot in the camper and your puppy could overheat. This can be life threatening. In my opinion, unless you are gone for 12 hours a day - the puppy will fare better in the crate at home than left in a camper all day.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Felix is offline Senior Member

I miss the idea, of going to a puppy class, to learn some basic obedience

For the rest: See the answers @BigBrownDog

Ohw, and specialy in the first six months. No excesive walks or exercises, that realy could hurth a pup

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

What BigBrownDog said.

Congrats, by the way!! Never EVER put her in a crate with a collar on. She could easily get it caught and choke herself to death.

As far as toys, as BBD said - nylabones! They are a Godsend! My Frankie is 4 years old now, and was a power chewer. We still have all of his puppy nylabones, the ends are a little narred up but that's it. Oh, and a Kong is essential!!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

seabreeze is offline Junior Member

Yes I forgot to mention we will be beginning weekly puppy obedience/training at 10 weeks. I plan to be the primary but wil be bringing my 5 yr old daughter with me.

Can anyone recommend the best crate for my needs? I was thinking a 2 door with divider to allow puppy to adulthood growth. I could use a brand/model size recommendation for a yellow girl who is likely to be average/above average in size.

Not sure what a "Kong" is either

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Everybody has given great advice, I have nothing to add, but enjoy! Shane once was a little yellow puppy and now he's 2, time goes fast! Oh, and please post pictures!
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

Bathing- how often and what to use? --never if you can avoid it. Labs just don't need to be bathed unless they have rolled in something really nasty. The coat will lose it's natural oils if regularly bathed. If you have to use a puppy shampoo - not people shampoo.
    In other words, by the time your dog gets a little bigger and starts going to parks, etc. with you - every other day,

We're up to 3 times this week...

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I am so glad you plan to start puppy class right away. Your instructor (and your vet) are your #1 source for advice on your puppy and puppy problems.

Bathing? if he doesn't look dirty and doesn't stink, he doesn't need a bath. I personally was not impressed with furminator. I love the zoom groom and those flat bristly brushes.

Crate? I used Life stages with two doors. It had the divider and the two doors provides more flexibility around where I can put the crate.

Oh, an be prepared to spend weeks thinking about whether or not puppy needs to go outside or not. "when did he last go?" "when did he drink last" "does he look like he has to go?" "Oh No! Not there!" LOL!!

Enjoy your puppy!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

Crate? I used Life stages with two doors. It had the divider and the two doors provides more flexibility around where I can put the crate.
    That's what we used. I think those are good quality crates, and they collapse down instantly for transport or storage. They're not cheap, but you can keep the small one around for the next time you get a pup.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VTEnviro View Post
    In other words, by the time your dog gets a little bigger and starts going to parks, etc. with you - every other day,

We're up to 3 times this week...
    Eeek! No - I did not mean every other day. Most of the time you can rinse the dog with plain water and get them clean enough. Using soap that often can truly ruin your dog's coat.

My 3 year old has only been bathed with he has tangled with skunks - otherwise I would not ever let shampoo near him.

They are not poodles.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast