Whining
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whining

DefaultWhining

Our Dale is such a whiner. Anyone else have a dog like this? He is 6 months old. He was doing good for quite a while, sleeping til at least 6 am. All of a sudden he'd start whining any time afer 4:00, today it was straight thru 5 AM til 5:45 when he heard me get up. Normally a whine is his sign to go outside if he's in his crate at night. First couple of times I fell for it, thinking he had to go out. So I took him out, he peed a little and pooped a small bit and I put him back in his crate to go back to sleep. So I know it wasnt the pottying that he wanted to do. I think he just wants out of the crate. Today I let him whine until I couldnt take it anymore - had visions of a big poop in his crate, so I took him out and back in his crate he went. Somebody please tell me they have a whiner!?!? And how do you stop it? It is driving me batty. He's a whiner and a crybaby. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Whining

Mine's a whiner too :P

Not as much as yours, I don't think, but yeah, he whines. He's not in a crate anymore, but puts his head on the mattress next to me, and starts whimpering, then whining...either for me to get up and feed him, or just 'cause he wants me up with him.

I get up at 6:00 am; he may start at 5:30...I just tell him to go lay down, and he'll quit. If he keeps it up, then I know he needs to go out. Usually though, he'll just go lay back down 'til I get up.

Once in awhile, when I have a day off work and wanna sleep in a bit, hub will feed him and let him out. He'll either go back to bed, or just come and whine at me; it's only 'cause he wants me to be up and about with him. :-\

Does yours know 'down' or 'lay down'? You could try saying that, or 'quiet' to see if he'll stop and lay back down.

Yep, big babies for sure

Daisy who is also 6 months has started whining in the mornings but not until around 7 am - she didn't start doing this until right after she was spayed 2 weeks ago.* Before that, she wouldn't make a peep until I got up (which was nice on weekends).* During the week I am up much earlier so there is no whining.* Daisy sleeps in my DD's room and of course my dear child never hears anything - sleeps right thru.* If I don't want to get up when Daisy starts whining I'll tell her sternly "lie down" "go to sleep".* She usually does just settle back down.* *

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Exercise

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta gets up between 5 & 5:30 (I've been getting up at 6 lately) and she whines, so I give her a nylabone and tell her to go lay down- it gives me about another 20 minutes before she plops on top of me and starts licking my face to go out.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I agree exercise- Sammi had started whining in the morning around 6:30, which is totally unusual for her- figured out that it has only started since she has been in heat and* not getting her usual walks and play in the park- fetching in the back yard and short trip's around the block just aren't cutting it!! Sammi and I can't wait until she is done with this ;D. 2 wk's and counting :-\

Oh Lordy - from 5 Am til 5:45 AM this overly dramatic pup of ours whined, moaned, cried and just plain would not stop. He is getting exercise, but not as much as before since the kids went back to school. Will have to up that for sure. I got out of bed at 6 am and took him out, at that point he was quiet. I just mostly hate when he gets up early on the weekend.

I swear this dog can win an Academy Award for his sighing and moaning!! 8)

Trickster is offline Senior Member

He is getting exercise, but not as much as before since the kids went back to school
    Its the only way...

Really tire him out before bed.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Theo has a Ph.D. in whining. He whined all the way home in the car the first day we had him (at 10 weeks). We've always tried not to reward him for whining, even inadvertantly, and we've even tried punishments of various sorts. But it has been a very stubborn habit, because it is self-reinforcing (it's probably soothing). I agree with the others--the more tired they are, the less likely they are to whine.

I can also tell you that in our case at least, it did decrease with age. Now he typically doesn't whine in the morning unless we get up late, and only whines (1) when he wants to play and we're late for his walk (the horror!), (2) when his favorite ball rolls out of reach, or (3) at his toybox when he can't decide what toy to pick. :

Harley's only 7 1/2 weeks and he has to be the biggest sooky around. Constantly whines. He's also afraid of EVERYTHING. We were playing in the yard yesterday when a motorcycle drove by and he ran (faster than I've ever seen him run) and hid under the tree. What a time I had coaxing him out. Afterward all he wanted to do was cuddle. he gets loads of exercise, all in very short bouts, he's also a bit lazy so it takes constant encouragement. 2-3 minutes seems to be his limit then he needs to nap for an hour or two, but we take advantage of his every waking moment for some play time. He's even learning to occupy himself for a minute or two. We've tried not responding to him too much when he whines, but like yours, he doesn't give it up. We have our kitchen blocked off with his crate, toys, and dishes inside. He hates it and will start whining then quickly escalates to this toe curdling, high pitched yelp. Now he jumps over the 2 1/2 foot high board we use to block the kichen. Luckily, I work shifts so between my husband and I there is very little time he is home alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast