Opinions needed on dog training class.

Thread: Opinions needed on dog training class.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultOpinions needed on dog training class.

I've been doing some research on different dog trainers in my area. One of the trainers has 12 years of training experience and is the President of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers and was reccomended to me by a women who used to be a dog trainer.
    One of the requirements is that your dog be COMPLETELY friendly towards people and other dogs. Brigetta is very timid when she firsts meets other people or is in a new environment, she will usually try to run away and or pee. Once she becomes comfortable she is ok. When it comes to other dogs, she will bark and lunge towards them when she is on a leash and appears to be aggressive, but I know from experience with her that when she is off leash she will run up to a dog and try and initiate bitey face type play with them. She does put her mouth around their necks and try and get them to chase her. Would she be considered COMPLETELY friendly? I'm also concerned that when we are in the class she will be too frightened to participate. I really want to start her on formal training. BTW- she's is 7 months now and the class starts in November. Thanks in advance.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Opinions needed on dog training class.

She sounds like a typical 7 month old to me. It's important that you expose to her lots of different types of people, places, things during this time in her development. This is when she begins to build confidence and early socialization is key. I really wouldn't wait for a training class to begin this process either but you have to ensure that all of her experiences are positive (don't introduce her to unfriendly dogs or people who will intimidate her, roughly hanlde her, etc). It's a building process. Start with things she can handle and gradually increase the amount of interaction (ie, a known person petting her, a stranger walking near by, a stranger walking up to you but ignoring her, a stranger talking to her, a stranger offering her a treat, etc).

I'd talk to the trainer. I'm sure she'll also say that your dog is acting like a typical 7 month old but ultimately it is her decision as to what kind of dogs she wants in the class and if she isn't comfortable dealing with your dog, then I'd find another trainer.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Opinions needed on dog training class.

Thanks rottnlabs. I will send her an email. When I adopted her at 14 weeks she had been living outside (I'm not sure for how long) and she is terrified of other people when I walk her- this is our biggest challenge. I completely agree that she should be exposed to different types of situations; I do have her in day care for socialization once a week and take her to pet friendly stores, etc. Thanks for the tips.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence