3am potty runs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3am potty runs

Default3am potty runs

Hi everyone!

We got Soba about a week ago and she's doing quite well, we think. She's only 13 weeks, but she's down to only a couple of indoor accidents per day, she no longer whines in her crate (though she still won't stay there voluntarily and is super-excited to get out!), and is in general adjusting pretty well to our home. Biting is probably the biggest issue we have right now, but I think we need to just work on a more consistent isolation response with her to discourage it.

My question is about taking her out for potty at night. We crate her around 11 and take her out for a break just before that. I've been waking up around 3:30-4 in order to take her for a potty run, since from what I understand she can't hold it all night. But I'm wondering if it's necessary, as my body is crying out for a full night's sleep. She's never had an accident in her crate and, although she's excited to see me at 4am, I think it's just because she likes to be let out, and not because of really needing to pee. For example, often times she'll plop down in the grass right after I take her out, so I figure potty's not even the main thing on her mind (though she does potty eventually).

I was wondering if there's some way for me to let her tell me if she still needs to go or whether she can make it through the night. I was considering leaving her in the crate overnight and seeing if she's had an accident, but I'm so happy that she hasn't had one there yet that I am reluctant to break that record. The other thing I'm thinking of trying is sleeping downstairs with her (her crate is in the living room) and seeing if she barks or does something else to wake me up in the middle of the night.

What would you suggest? How did you know when your puppy could make it through the night?

More photos at:

http://flickr.com/photos/nikitab/set...7594266512229/

- Nikita

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: 3am potty runs

Why do you think she can't hold it at night? Brought Sami home at 8 1/2 weeks, and I only took her out on night one. She slept through the night every night since.

Oh, and just use a baby monitor if you want her to sleep in another room. This way you can always hear her at night. Even when she's older she might have an upset tummy and need to make a midnight potty trip.

I was lucky. First few nights, mine whimpered to go out twice a night...then down to once a night. After a week or so, he slept all night.

Are YOU waking up to take her out at night, or is she whimpering, waking you up? If it's you waking up to take her out, I'd suggest don't bother. She'll whimper or whine to let you know if she needs to go out. She may be at the stage where she'll sleep all night. If you're not sure if you'd hear her, move the crate into your bedroom.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Djc1249
    Are YOU waking up to take her out at night, or is she whimpering, waking you up? If it's you waking up to take her out, I'd suggest don't bother. She'll whimper or whine to let you know if she needs to go out. She may be at the stage where she'll sleep all night. If you're not sure if you'd hear her, move the crate into your bedroom.
    I've been waking up myself, setting an alarm. We put the crate in the living room since that way she's not by herself right away when we crate her either during the day or at night. I might try a baby monitor. Thanks for your advice!

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nikitab
    Quote Originally Posted by Djc1249
    Are YOU waking up to take her out at night, or is she whimpering, waking you up?* If it's you waking up to take her out, I'd suggest don't bother.* She'll whimper or whine to let you know if she needs to go out.* She may be at the stage where she'll sleep all night.* If you're not sure if you'd hear her, move the crate into your bedroom.
    I've been waking up myself, setting an alarm.* We put the crate in the living room since that way she's not by herself right away when we crate her either during the day or at night.* I might try a baby monitor.* Thanks for your advice!
    Definitely start tonight -- you do not want to train her to wake up at 3 a.m., which is what will probably happen if you continue! I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I got Birgetta at 14 weeks and she did whimper to go out a few times in the middle of the night, but I think it was more to get my attention and play. It didn't last long and she started sleeping through the night until 4, then 5 and now she goes out at 6. If she's not crying to go out, I would let her sleep. I looked at your pictures...Soba is ADORABLE!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I was just going to ask if she was waking you up, or you her up. Since it's you waking her up, I would stop, get the baby monitor and let her let you know when she wants out.

Abby woke me up almost everynight until she was 4 months old. I figured I would allow her to do so until she could hold it since she was crated all day. Around 4.5 months she stopped needing to go out at night. She now lets us know though if she needs to go for an emergency potty during the night and she's 18 months.

Good luck! I recall all too well that feeling of no sleep! Don't miss it, but I miss the puppy breath!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh my what a cutie!!! ;D

Some excellent advice upthread.

Just to help the process along a bit... make sure she's good and tired before bedtime and also you might want to take up the water a couple hours before bedtime.
    ~Lindsay

curly is offline Senior Member

We got Zakk when he was eight weeks and we got up with him until he was ~16 weeks (to make sure there were no accidents). If he needed to go before we got up, he would wimper a few times and then let out a bark. When it got to the bark stage.... you better be on your feet because he was getting ready to go .

He now sleeps through the night (from ~10PM to 6AM). I thought we would never get to that point but we finally did.

How to tell? That's what Kaycie's dad always wanted to know. When i finally told him the secret i use, he was like huh? How do you know? With all the puppies that have come into my home, i've always just felt their tummy. Kaycie has by far been the easiest to potty train. if you're using a kennel, i'm sure you'll learn the different barks lol. Kaycie's hungry bark is a guttural groan. If she's gotta potty, it's a high pitched quick to the point bark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast