2 topics...

Thread: 2 topics...

Default2 topics...

Hello everyone

My male, 15 week chocolate lab is doing pretty well with his training, and i see the progress since we first got him last month (he even knows how to play dead now). However, I have a couple of problems that need help from you experienced people

1) He's been very good on leash. I actually have been rollerblading with him, because I can't seem to keep up with him. He has a gentle leader on, and he's very calm-submissive when he has it on. However, when he sees dogs or people approaching, he stops and just sits, and he won't even budge until they're close and then he'll start being playful. Is that a good thing? I'm not sure. Also, when other people are petting him, he keeps trying to play bite them, and keeps jumping on them. What's a good way for him to stop doing that? I know he likes when people pet him, but I want to him to know that mouthing or jumping is not good.

2) At what age did your lab start playing in the water? I took mine to the beach and he was scared of even going in it. I made a mistake of carrying him and putting him in with me, just until it was about up to his legs. He started swimming a little bit, but then he started whimpering, and then ran back to the surface. His legs then started shaking. I must admit, it was pretty cold that day, so do you think it was the cold that made him shiver? I dried him off, and then he was fine. I just hope i didn't traumatize him. I feel pretty bad, i guess i was just pretty jealous of the other dogs that were there swimming, fetching sticks. I hope i didn't get a puppy that hates water. Help anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: 2 topics...

I also have a choc lab at 8months old right now. She also likes to jump on people when they come by. We are still working on it. My trainer showed me to allow friend to pet her but if she starts to jump to turn around and walk away and then come back and try again.

About the swimming my lab goes into the water about to her belly and she doesn't go any further. I am still hoping that she becomese a swimmer but I am trying to be patient and let her get in when she is ready. I would give it more time. I was at first throwing her treats in the water (ankle level) and let her find them. She liked that. She also likes her baby pool that I bought for her and I also threw her treats in the baby pool and she thought it was a lot of fun.

Has he had all of his shots? If not, I wouldn't be taking him much of anywhere yet, and not swimming either.

If he has all shots, just let him splash and play in water 'til he gets used to it...some go right for water, others take time. Ours was 6 mos. before he started swimming...but that was because we got him at the end of winter, and took him when it was warm.

If he's stopping and sitting when other's approach, you want to reward and praise that behavior so it continues, I think. That's a good thing for him to do. For jumping, tell him 'off' or 'no jump' or whatever word you'll use for that action, and if he tries to jump, hold the leash so all feet are on the floor/ground. Keep him in a sit and have people pet him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

You really shouldn't be rollerblading with your puppy ... he's much too young for that type of leashed exercise.* Running on concrete/asphalt is very hard on their developing joints.* *Try to keep his running limited to grassy areas -- and don't force it.* It should just be a lot of natural play at this time.

In terms of water play ... Sami was introduced to water by her breeder.* We also have a river within walking distance and it's a lot less intimidating than the ocean.* Do you have a shallow river/stream/creek where you can take your puppy?* Sami was a year old before she saw a beach ... she thought it was terrific, but she was very used to water by then.

Edited to add -- I just saw Djc's post and she's right -- keep him home until 2 weeks after his last shots.

forgot to add.....it's really better on joints of you can walk/run in a park, or field, or grassy area. Hard surfaces (asphalt, concrete) are hard on their joints, 'til they're older.

I don't know how fast you're both going if you're on rollerblades, but a dog shouldn't really be run (like jogging with you on a bike or something similar) 'til they're about 2.