Potty Time....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potty Time....

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultPotty Time....

Everytime I take Rowan out to use the bathroom..... she just plops down on the grass......
    She was sleeping and has been for about an hour.. so I took her out... and she plopped down on the grass... trying to go back to sleep... refusing.. to do anything... I just brought her back in... and now she is wide awake and wanting out of the crate..... advice please!!! :
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Potty Time....

Dakota was the same way!
    Its still something new to a puppy. We just kept at it and at it and at i and, well you get the point. It took about a week for Dakota to get the idea.
    Are you using a potty word?

Is she crying to get up or are you just taking her out? Are you using a crate? If she's sleeping, I probably wouldn't wake her up unless she had fallen asleep outside of her crate. At night just let her sleep until she signals you that she has to go.

The first couple of nights are really tough. Make yourself a little log book to track when she eats, poops, and goes potty. This will help you to plan your days and evenings and it helps to avoid accidents. When she does go potty, praise, praise, praise and say "good potty" while she's going or whatever word you want to use to trigger the behavior. I tell Lexie "do your business" and while she's going I say "good potty". Now if I say "do your business" or "go potty" she will...also when I say "hurry up" she stops sniffing and goes (I think this came from our middle of the night trips when I was half asleep).

When Lex was 8 weeks we went to bed around 10:00ish. and she usually woke up between 2-3 a.m.. I adjusted my time clock and went to bed at 11:30 p.m. for a little while and she would sleep until Rob got up @ 5:00-6:00 a.m. As she got older we were able to put her to be earlier and she could make it through the night. She actually slept through the night pretty quickly.

Also, we stopped giving water after 7 or 8 p.m. when she was really little.

Good luck, it just takes a little time, patience, and consistency.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I am using the potty word... and am taking her to the same spot every time.

We went out twice tonight in a matter of 20 minutes.... and she just laid out there... we came in ... she squatted and peed..... walked a bit.. and started to poop... I ran and got paper towel under and 'caught it' LOl.....then she came back into the kitchen and took another dump.....

Kathryn Guest

after she went potty inside did u tell her NO and take her outside to where sh needs to potty?

No, I didn't do that Kathryn! Thanks for the info! I will be doing that!!

The good news is she went 6 hours last night without messing in her crate. As soon as I opened the door... she walked a foot and then peed! :-\

Kathryn Guest

When she messes in the house tell her NO and take her outside and let her know she needs to potty outside. When Dakota was little I would pick her up and take her out. Walking can make them have the need to just GO, and go NOW! So for a good while I would pick Dakota up and take her outside. The other thing that I read about after I got Dakota was leash her to you. It was GREAT for me. She wouldn't potty being on the leash in the house. As soon as I tool her out told her to potty she went!
    I took Dakota out about every 15 mins till she was about 3.5 months old. after that it was every 15-30-40 mins. After she ate I took her out, 15 mins later she went back. then every 30-40 mins after that.
    I hope that helps. Your puppy is still pretty little. It will take a while for both you and her to get your stuff down. You have to learn her signs and she has to learn your comands!
    Good luck!

I picked Lexie up the first week too. I put her lease on as we were walking to her spot.

Okay, I'll forget about the leash for now and just carry her out.
    What do I do about getting her to stop laying around and to actually DO something! Treats aren't a real motivator at this point.
    I know that Rowan wasn't in a crate at all where she was raised and had run of whatever room she was in - kitchen/laundry room. Will the fact that they were allowed to go wherever make this a longer process for her to understand that she needs to do her business outside??

Kathryn Guest

It shouldnt make it harder at all. Every time she lays down Id pick her up and have her stand again. When she pottys make a HUGE deal out of it! Just dont make it such a huge deal you scare her. If she wont potty after 3 mins go back in and have her on a leash next to you. If/when she starts to potty shock her (pop/soda/beer can with coins or rocks work well one shake and a firm NO! should work to get her to stop. then take her outside and tell her potty word. Id keep her on a no longer than 4 foot leash in the house at all times when you are with her. She dosnt need run of the room. (this is where the shes a dog comes into play) She needs to learn shes got to earn her space into the house. As she gets older give her more freedom. It took Dakota a good 4 months before I could trust her. If she wont potty after a few times you taking her out Id put her in her crate for a little. Dakota only had one mess in her crate and thats when she was REALLY REALLY little. Potty training is the hardest to do I think!
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast