Poop Eater - How to stop it?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poop Eater - How to stop it?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultPoop Eater - How to stop it?

All of a sudden Rocky has started eating other dog's poop. He had never so much at given such a thing a second glance. Then two weeks ago he nabbed a piece at a park. Then this weekend I couldn't keep him away from the poop piles the the park. I had to go around picking up everyone else's poop just so we could stay.

This is only a problem at the park as it's the only place he's not under my control. I keep my eye on him but by the time I get to him it's too late.

Other than some serious training on "leave it" what can I do? What do I do WHILE we work on the "leave it" to stop him from eating?

I read once that sometimes dog who are missing something in their diet eat poop. Rock has been on the same food since last fall and nothing has changed - so I'm guessing it is not health related?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Poop Eater - How to stop it?

I wish I has some advice for you...Brigetta hasn't been to a dog park yet...so when we are outside and she is off leash, I've used the "leave it" as soon as she goes near another dog's poop. The first couple of times it didn't work...but the more training we did on leave it the better it got. I'm interested to see how she'll be at the dog park.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Trickster is offline Senior Member

First things first, get him on a leash before it becomes a habit. When this becomes habit, it can be almost impossible to break. I have been battling with this for 6 years with my Maisy. She is much better but not completely 'cured'.

I read once that sometimes dog who are missing something in their diet eat poop.* Rock has been on the same food since last fall and nothing has changed - so I'm guessing it is not health related?
    The whole 'lacking in the diet' thing is a myth. I suppose in SOME cases it may be true, but I suspect with Labradors they eat poop because they are greedy and like the taste.

Is Rock alright healthwise in all other respects? have you cut his food intake recently?

Other than some serious training on "leave it" what can I do?* What do I do WHILE we work on the "leave it" to stop him from eating?
    Keep him distracted and focused on you. Something that really helped with my Maisy was allowing her to carry a ball. She was always more focused on the ball rather then the poop and when she behaved, she got a retrieve.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

oh no Tanya! Rock...KNOCK IT OFF!!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Millie prefers cat droppings,one day she did have an episode of barking at her own though :-\

OH yah babe lol Kaycie loves the litter box at her grandparents. Even broke the little swing door off of the litter box. devil dog i tell ya...with a halo

LJ Guest

There are multiple issues at play here. One, he is not under your control when off leash. I would work on this. If you need help, a good obedience class can be a good place to start. If you're more of a do-it-yourselfer, there are many books and videos on off leash obedience.

Second, is this an off leash park, or just a public park where people let their dogs run loose? In either case, people are required by law to pick up after their dogs. If it's a public park, I wouldn't recommend using it as an offleash dog park because that's inconsiderate of other park users. Imagine taking the kiddies down to the public park to hit the ball around, and having to dodge piles of dog poop. Blech!!!! If it's an actual off leash dog park, what are the amenities like? Are there poop pickup stations located at enough intervals that a plastic bag is just a few steps away, wherever one might be in the park? Or are users required to bring their own bags?

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

Phoebe is a big time poop eater - with hers and others'. What has worked for us (and 90% of the time she's great now) is training her to come to us after she has done a poop, or when she is near another dog's poop...and when she comes, we give her a tasty treat and praise her big time. She has figured out that the treat and the praise are better than the poop ...so that would be my advice based on the fact that it seems to be working for us...
    Becca & Phoebe

Tanya is offline Senior Member

We are working on come and taking classes (both obedience and flyball...more obedience to come). His recall is good but the poop is highly attractive - so no, my recall has yet to be good enough when the distraction is THAT good. Yes, I am working on it.

We live in an apt and that park is the ONLY place he can run. It is fully fenced. Not going is not an option. And yes, people SHOULD be picking up but you know how people can be. The park is fairly small, the size of a baseball park. People usually keep lots of bags in the bin and the garbage can is just outside the door to the park.

This past week and weekend he showed no interest in poop, thank goodness. I do watch him to be sure (and will continue to). Also - he seems to only go for SMALL piles. There were plenty of thsoe last weekend because of the pug meet.

I will work on recall (as I have been for months now) as well as the "leave it" command.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

I spoke too soon...she was in the park last night with hubby and was far away and snacked on some of hers :-X

I am in a similar situation to you - in a townhouse with no fenced yard, so the leash-free park is the only option. It's a constant battle! :-\
    Becca & Phoebe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast