Advice from 2 dog people, Please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice from 2 dog people, Please

DefaultAdvice from 2 dog people, Please

I copied from my post in Lab Chat, as I may get more answers here.

We had Bear for almost 3 years now and she has been the only dog, therefor as you can imagine she has been pretty spoiled. We had rules at the beginning: No begging, No feeding her from the table (to enforce the 1st rule), no sleeping on the bed; well I think that's all because it was mostly my hubby that implemented the rules. Little by little we bended the rules and now she can lay down next to the table when we are eating and every now and then we feed her a little of what we are eating (only if extra yummy and safe for her), she sleeps on our bed just as if it would be her own... The worse came today when my hubby fed her from his breakfast at the bed Well he says he cant resist her eyes and cute face.

Anyhow, we are bringing Bunny home in October and I wonder, How have you handled the rules for the second dog when like in this case the first one has already broken or make disappear most of them. I am sure I will keep the no begging at the table or feeding from the table as long as possible. But I'm concerned about the one about not sleeping on the bed... Do you recommend that I enforce the rule until certain age or just let her sleep on the bed right away...

I just want the other puppy to feel as part of the family, but I dont know if slacking on the rules too early will make her think she can do anything she wants. Bear is an amazingly well behaved dog, but it took lots of work and applying the rules. She could only get on the bed with her dad permission when she was about 1 1/2 years old and sleeps on it whenever she wants at 2 years old.

I've never had 2 dogs and I am so nervous about how to handle the situation. Please help me out on this

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Advice from 2 dog people, Please

GOOD questions. I look forward to the answers. We are thinking of getting a little sister/brother for Ender sometime next year.
    ~Lindsay

Well, I thnk the talbe rules will have to apply to both dogs. I don't see a problem with bear sleeping on your bed while the puppy sleeps in the crate. Until the puppy is potty trained and done chewing, he'll need to be crated. We've done that with Miles and Bailey. Bailey is 4 and often spends weekends with us. He sleeps on the bed. Miles is still crated at night. It isn't a problem. One thing,though, about Miles. He's a pretty independent dog. If given the choice, he'd choose the floor not the bed. I've had him in our bed and he doesn't like it up there. He gets down. So, he could care less that Bailey is on the bed and he's not. He doesn't want to be up there anyway. Bailey, on the other hand, would be heartbroken if we didn't let him up there with us.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMom
    Well, I thnk the talbe rules will have to apply to both dogs. I don't see a problem with bear sleeping on your bed while the puppy sleeps in the crate. Until the puppy is potty trained and done chewing, he'll need to be crated. We've done that with Miles and Bailey. Bailey is 4 and often spends weekends with us. He sleeps on the bed. Miles is still crated at night. It isn't a problem. One thing,though, about Miles. He's a pretty independent dog. If given the choice, he'd choose the floor not the bed. I've had him in our bed and he doesn't like it up there. He gets down. So, he could care less that Bailey is on the bed and he's not. He doesn't want to be up there anyway. Bailey, on the other hand, would be heartbroken if we didn't let him up there with us.
    Funny you mentioned the independence, Bear used to be pretty independent and wouldnt like to sleep with us or to be hugged... And she has changed a lot, she is not on you all the time but she has got used to moving to the bed at least for a couple of hours during the night. She has changed a lot in 2 1/2 years.

I love that photo!

Bear always had her own bed, but she has always prefered the dirty laundry basket... ??? First it was the round basket that you can see next to it, when she didnt fit we changed it to that one and eventually had to get a big plastic box. Funny thing is even when she wouldnt fit in the baskets, she would still get in there. ;D She has been always funny like that.

labradork mom is offline Member

We got our second lab when our first was three. All the rules applied from the first to the second one. However you must remember that your first lab is the one who gets fed first and has more privaleges than the second one. They must feel like they still rule. When I brought the second one home I introduced him as my first one's baby and let her take care of him. Which she did. I used the crate and they actually would both get in the same crate together and sleep. They still love to be with each other and constantly sleep together. Two dogs are better than one. They always have someone else when you are not at home.

Quote Originally Posted by labradork mom
    We got our second lab when our first was three. All the rules applied from the first to the second one. However you must remember that your first lab is the one who gets fed first and has more privaleges than the second one. They must feel like they still rule. When I brought the second one home I introduced him as my first one's baby and let her take care of him. Which she did. I used the crate and they actually would both get in the same crate together and sleep. They still love to be with each other and constantly sleep together. Two dogs are better than one. They always have someone else when you are not at home.
    Interesting that you say that the first one must feel like she still rules.* I know Bear will be a little jealous, but she will eventually get to love her sister.*

I have another question, well I'll be full of questions... :* :-\* *Bear has never been very patient with puppies... how do I approach the situation if she gets angry and bites the puppy (if the puppy has been bugging her, you know how puppies are)?* I dont want to make her feel that I'm meaner because of the puppy but at the same time I cant allow for her to be nasty with the puppy. :-\

Second question: Bear tends to eat way too fast when there are other dogs in the house, I am afraid that with the puppy in the house she will vacum all her meals and get bloated, What can I do?

I seperate my dogs when i feed them or give them treats. My older dog is not agressive but she loves her food and would try to gobble everybodies food. It just gives them their space to enjoy your food.

OOps didn't answer your first question. I really doubt that you will have a problem with your older dog biting the puppy. My experience is that the puppy will become submissive to the older one and give in if they get rough. Don't worry too much I am sure that they will get along great. Just remember they are labs (lovers of the world) Just let things happen and show them respect and everything will be fine. Your older dog is going to love you for bringing home a live toy!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast