"Kennel Dog"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Kennel Dog"

Default"Kennel Dog"

Hi, we just found a lab puppy that we would like to adopt. She is 7 months old and she has been a "kennel dog" all her
    life. She has not been housebroken, and in fact, has never been in a house. Does anyone have any experience with
    training a puppy like this? Don't know if it would be more difficult to train her than an 8 week old puppy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: "Kennel Dog"

I don't think that she/he will be that difficult to train. My suggestion is be consistent and if he/she is a lab it won't take long.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I'd say you'll just have to start out as you would with an 8 week old.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

curly is offline Senior Member

I would think that a 7 month old puppy would be more focused (a longer attention span than an eight week old puppy). Labs learn fast and it will be fun seeing the changes as she learns. Go for it!!

Good luck!

I adopted a dog that had not been trained either. Instead of a Kennel dog this sweet boy was chained up most of his life. Unfortunately he has not been easier ...he is harder in my opinion. He can be stubborn and is not as eager to please. But each dog has his/her own personality just like we do.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I adopted a 6 month old who hadn't been housetrained ever either. Wasn't a kennel dog, but had been neglected and left to her own devices in the house or small yard.

It was a bit tough, but she caught on quickly. I find puppies are a bit more "forgiving" in the sense that when you tell them NO! they don't hold it against you. Yeller took every NO! personally, so we really had to soft talk her and treat her gently. Couldn't really raise your voice with her at all.

I think you will do fine though. I know someone who adopted a kennel dog, and it was actually easy to housetrain because it didn't want to pee in the house at all, only outside as that's what it was used to.

Good luck! and thank you for rescuing a poor soul who needs someone like you to love it!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

No advice beyond the good comments already given. I just wanted to say THANK YOU! for giving her a loving home as a member of your family.

Dani is offline Senior Member

We have foster dogs in our program all of the time that are not housebroken. Get a crate, and treat them just like an 8 week old pup. Start out with the basics, tether them to you, take them outside frequently. Praise for pottying outside, stop them from pottying inside. It should go smoothly. Don't stay away from the crate because it was a kennel dog. They still need peramaters and house rules.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

With love all things are possible!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast