Walking

Thread: Walking

DefaultWalking

Well I rode my bike today and didn't take Lucky because I wasn't sure how far I was going to go and I didn't want to hurt her joints or legs.* She was not happy with me!!* I could hear her crying all the way up the rode and she was in the house!* How far can I walk her?* She's 11 months and growing like crazy still!!* Her exercise so far has been really short walks around the block, and lots of activity playing in the yard with Phoenix, Happy, and Me.* There's a really big park near the house we're moving into at the end of the month though

Her vet says she's still 15lbs underweight....what do you guys thinks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Walking

If you are sticking to the '5 minute' guideline; 11 months = 55 minutes of vigorous exercise a day. It won't hurt to go over that amount as long as the exercise is non-forced. Swimming, running off leash, playing, retrieving, etc., is all great exercise. If you have no good off leash areas, make your leash walks fun. Vary your pace, take different routes, practice obedience along the way...

I would not bike with an 11 month old. Wait until she is at least 18 months. When the time comes, you will have to build up her stamina. Continue your walks around the block but build up and increase the distance. This will get her muscles in reasonable condition to start the biking.

Her vet says she's still 15lbs underweight....what do you guys thinks?
    Are you serious? she looks GREAT. I love that first picture of her. Vets tend to go by the charts and most are not used to seeing slim Labs that are in good shape. Can you see her ribs? if you can feel but not see them, she is probably at a good weight. If you can see them when she is standing, she is too thin.

I can't see her ribs, I can feel them when I run my hands over her though.

You like that picture of her jumping? One of her FAVORITE things to do and she's not even trying on that one. She can get all four of her paws above my head....which results in me getting whacked by her nose on the way up. Any suggestions on teaching her when she can jump and when she can't? I don't want to make her stop completely she loves doing it so much, watching her is great. It's like a terrier on super crack!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I don't have any advice...I just wanted to say I love that shot of her jumping!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I can't see her ribs, I can feel them when I run my hands over her though.
    She sounds perfect. What on earth is your vet thinking? if you can easily feel but not see her ribs, she is at a good weight. She does certainly not need to gain 15lbs. Putting that amount of weight on a healthy dog for no obvious reason would do a lot more harm than good.

No advice about the jumping. You might want to try typing 'jumping' into the search feature on the forum --I know the subject has come up many times before.

She's gorgeous!

This thread has good info on jumping too https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,16082.0.html

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with 99% of what Trickster advised you.* Your Lab looks in great shape.

The 1% I disagree with is in being able to feel but not see the ribs.

My Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) has ribs that often can be seen when the light comes from the right direction.* The valleys in between the ribs have definite shadows.

Vets always compliment me on what perfect shape she's in.* I'm happy to say that Puff deserves all the credit in that she's one of those rare, mutant 10% of all Labs that are self-regulating in the amount she eats.

The reason Puff's ribs often show is that she has a much thinner double coat than any of the other Labs that have attended our weekly LabFests.* The upside of this is that she sheds FAR, FAR less than any other Labs there (as measured by amount of hair that comes off when being brushed or Zoom-Groomed).*

While 99% of the time, the "feel but not see ribs" maxim may be valid, it definitely is not for field line Labs with a thin coat like Puff's.

re: a possible reason for your vet making that 15 lbs. error:

S/he may be more familiar with the bench/show/"English" Lab and NOT familiar with the field/"American" lines.* If so, that could easily account for the incorrect advice.

The former are stockier, blockier while the latter are leaner, lankier, leggier, etc.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748