Do you limit eating time?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you limit eating time?

DefaultDo you limit eating time?

I don't leave food out all the time (I know some lab owners that do!). I've always read that you put the food down and if they don't eat in 10-15 minutes take it away. The last few days Ranger has been kinda just apathetic with his food. I think I made a huge mistake by giving him small treats sometimes in it. From now on .... it will be a in a different bowl.

Anyway, I took his food away this morning. He is going to be one hungry pup by noon....certainly won't die. Just wonderin if anyone else does this. He also might not like his food anymore...we've almost completed the whole bag.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Do you limit eating time?

I've never had this issue, Allie eats everything in less than 2 minutes. What is the reason you take it up after 15 minutes? Are you worried about ants, or want to teach your dog it needs to eat everything quickly? Is there an issue in leaving the food there?

Yep, pick it up. Personally, I'm mean and if I see they're not going to eat, I pick up much sooner. I have four dogs when everyone's done and Darwin's still standing there (hasn't started), I pick it up. This is usually after about 2 minutes

You'll quickly create a picker eater by adding things to food (in some dogs). You can rotate food, free feed or add toppings to appease them, or you can decide what they are going to eat, give them a time limit and stick with it...totally up to you, but if you travel at all or ever plan on having another critter in the family, I'd pick the later.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

curly is offline Senior Member

If you put it in front of Zakk, he eats it . Zakk will usually start eating the minute we put it in his bowl but does seem to take his time now. He will eat a little and walk around and check to make sure everyone is here and then go back (he doesn't want to miss anything).

Isn't it better for dogs to eat slower (in reference to bloating)?

this is a good question, I am still a fairly new lab owner so others will be able to give better answers, but I want to get my thoughts and questions out there to. My pup is 8 months old and she has never really eaten fast most of the time she would eat it all but not always. So I leave it down. The way I figure it is diffrent things will affect if the pup will eat it all, for example in the morning if she doesn't poop before breakfest she will not eat it all until she does( I guess she has to make room for it* ;D), if she gets a few treats during the day she may not eat all of her dinner.

my thought on this is if I put down the alloted amount of food for a meal and she doesn't eat it all at the next meal I put it back in the container and then serve the alloted amount for that meal. At no time during the day will I add food if the bowl is empty.

Katie is 8 months old and weighs 60 lbs I feed her 2 cups a meal of eukanuba large breed puppy, two meals a day 6:30 AM and 6:00PM for a total of 4 cups a day, but she does not always eat it all.

Does anyone think this is wrong, or that I should be doing something diffrent?
    here is my lastest picture of her so you can get a look at her........

I put the food down and it's gone within 2 minutes. Not an issue. I have been told that free feeding can cause a dog to be a picky eater. It also becomes a problem if you bring in another dog. My stepdaughter free feeds and when he comes over here, he goes hungry because I put his bowl down when I feed Miles in his cage. When Miles is done, the other dog's bowl has to come up or Miles will eat it too. If he doesn't eat, he goes hungry. If he's here for a few days, he has it figured out by day 2. I just feel sorry for him that first day.

I don't have a problem with Shadow eating.I feed 1 cup 4x a day,which maybe changing soon.He eats it within 30 secs and is looking for more.
    My lab mix,she isn't like that.She will eat a little and save the rest for later.I am going to stop with that and pull the food if she doesn't want all at one time.

Usually that is the case with Ranger, he eats all his food and is excited when he hears the word supper. For a day or so he was kinda indifferent about food. Maybe he had a tummy ache. That happens. He also has been indifferent about noon feeding (I feed 3x a day and he is 5 mo old). I think I messed up with adding treats to the bowl and if I am feeding him at the same time we may be grabbing something to eat...well heck, he is interested in those kibbles....just our human food!

Cause of the indifference to the noon feeding, I decided to switch now to 2x a day feeding - I was going to anyway. Yesterday morning I set the food down (1 1/2 cup) and he ate some of it and left it. So I threw it back into the bag. I trained around midday so he was having a few treats. And then fed him that evening. He ate the whole thing...steadily. This morning I fed him and he ate the whole thing.

I'm sure dogs are just like humans, sometimes they don't feel like eating a whole bunch. I just don't want a picky eater or an over eater.

I made a schedule, started out on two times a day.....and if Kaycie seemed uninterested i took it up off the floor. What she didn't eat i saved for a little later. She finally caught on, and will not leave her bowl until she's finished, cause she knows i'll take it from her. Might sound a little harsh, but it defenitely makes up for sleep time on Saturday mornings. lol No waiting around begging her to eat....same with potty time....she always goes right out afterwards. The best thing about being on a schedule and having a time limit (at first) is that you can gauge when #2 is coming around.

BaileyB is offline Junior Member

i put out the food and leave it there for as long as Bailey takes to eat it. Sometimes she eats it all at once, sometimes she eats a but at a time over 30 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast