guidelines for exercise, feeding and peeing in new pups

Thread: guidelines for exercise, feeding and peeing in new pups

Default guidelines for exercise, feeding and peeing in new pups

First of all, what is the exercise tolerance for a new pup. I think it is 5 minutes for every month of age

Second, what is the time span to hold their baldders. I know it has something to do with age as well

When do they drop their 3 rd meal? 3 or 4 months?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: guidelines for exercise, feeding and peeing in new pups

1. yes
    2. usually 1 hr for their age in months plus 1.... so 3 months=4 hours, 4 months=5 hrs
    3. depends... some dogs just stop eating the lunch... others (like Ender) would eat anything and everything you put in front of them so we just decided to stop the lunch meal at 5 months old.
    ~Lindsay

Trickster is offline Senior Member

First of all, what is the exercise tolerance for a new pup. I think it is 5 minutes for every month of age
    You are absolutely right. A very sensible guideline to follow is the '5 minute rule' --5 minutes of exercise per month of age. Of course, the rule is not set in stone, and giving your dog extra non-forced exercise won't hurt. What you want to avoid with puppies is repetitive motion; leash walking on hard surfaces, running on hard surfaces, etc. Forced exercise should be avoided until the pup is at least 18 months old. Some of the best exercises are running off leash, playing with other dogs, swimming and retrieving. When a dog is mature and done growing you can introduce exercises like jogging or biking if you like.

Second, what is the time span to hold their baldders. I know it has something to do with age as well
    I am not aware of any 'rule' regarding how long they can hold it (hopefully someone will come along and fill you in here) but it depends on the dog...how old is the pup in question? when my dogs were 8 weeks plus, we went out to potty every few hours.

When do they drop their 3 rd meal?* 3 or 4 months?
    Ask your breeder.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've never heard the 5 minute rule but it works out about perfectly. My dog is 15 months and anything over 75 minutes would tucker her out for the rest of the day.

1. Other then the usual walks in the morning and the afternoon, Petals goes to daycamp about 2 or 3 times a week to play with other dogs and she can play for hours non-stop. She has high energy and she uses all of it.
    2. This one was different for me and my last 2 dogs I guess. If I crated her, by the time she was 4 months old she was able to hold it for 8 hours. She was sleeping thru the night and holding it for up to 8 hours. Now that she is 6 months old she is good for 8-9 hours (typical business day)
    3. Petals never ate a 3rd meal. We feed her in the morning and afternoon and she has been fine with that

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I have to do at least the 5 minute rule for exercise with Brigetta. She is 7 months and she stays in her crate during the day while I'm at work- about 8.5 hours- we had to work up to this- I was going home at lunch (except on Wednesdays- she's in daycare) and the only time she has an accident is when the maintenance people come in and she gets excited or if she's not feeling well. On the weekends she goes out every couple of hours (more or less)- depending on what we're doing. I've always had her on 2 meals a day (I got her at 14 weeks). By the way...how is Mischa doing?

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

1. I try to take Bailey (6 months old) for a walk each day, but that's more for learning walking manners then exercise. My husband & I play fetch with her for at least 1/2 or more each night & try taking her down to the water nearby every couple of weeks (I'd like to make it more, but don't have very good access to the water). I'm looking into a doggy daycare for a couple days a week because when she plays with other dogs that's when she gets her best exercise!
    2. Bailey is in her kennel an average of 4-5 hrs at a time (I go home at lunch most days) & was able to hold it that long very shortly after we got her, she just didn't like having any messes in her kennel with her.
    3. We've also always fed Bailey twice a day (once in morning & once at night) & she's been fine with that.

Brigettas Mom ,
    Mischa is holding her own. She has her good days and her bad ones. Today is not a good day. We did not go very far before having to lay down for a rest. She was pretty shaky and wasn't pulling too hard on her leash (not a good sign for her). We'll see what tomorrow brings. Looks like the breeder is giving us a nother pup in a couple of weeks. That is why I am asking all these ??? again. Got to start brushing up opn the new puppy stuff.
    Pat

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I hope tomorrow is better for her. I can't imagine how hard this must be. Good luck with everything. I'll be looking for pictures of your new pup!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

TY,
    I will post some pics as soon as I get some. Another 2-3 weeks. It is hard with Mischa. You look at her walk sometimes and it is so pathetic to watch. If I had a video camera, I would take a movie of her so all could see how horrible this is. She chases a ball for 20 feet and does a face plant because she can't stop herself. She gets right back up and tries again. We love her to bits though and she just follows me around wherevever I go. The worst is that she wants to do things and just can't understand why I am saying no to the fun things she used to do. It breaks my heart.

Pat