Bali was being such a brat!

Thread: Bali was being such a brat!

DefaultBali was being such a brat!

We went to obedience training last night, and I swear Bali was posessed by some bratty demon dog. He was pulling like no other on his leash, jumping up on the trainer, and then he barked at her when she used him as an example! Then, for the majority of the class he was whimpering and crying for no apparent reason, not to mention yesterday he tried a new little maneuver when he climbed up onto a table in the living room at my parent's house in Phoenix. Get him home and he acts normal again. : WTF?! Crazy puppy. Is this normal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bali was being such a brat!

Totally normal!! even my adult dogs used to act like nutcases at class sometimes.* :

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

TOTALLY normal. You have a happy, excited, ADD puppy! As he gets more attuned to what happens in a class, more used to the other dogs and the smells, he will chill. As a puppy Theo would get so overstimulated that his eyes would bug out of his head and he would pant uncontrollably. When that happened I would put him in a sit and then wrap him in my arms and gently restrain him while talking quietly. If he struggled, I would just gently hold him and talk to him until he calmed down, and then I would feed him for quiet behavior.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

my secret for class was to send him to doggy day care that day. He was allways too tired to misbehave in class and I got all kinds of looks like "your puppy is so calm!"

;D :P
    ~Lindsay

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Lindsay, I agree to an extent, although I think different pups react differently. Some are like kids--when they've had too much stimulation they get even more spazzy and hard to focus. When Theo was a pup we always had to find walk a fine line before class--give him enough exercise to take the edge off, but not make him so worn out that he was unable to focus.

The classes are on Saturday or Tuesday, whichever I can make. I don't put Bali in daycare either of those days since I can't afford to use the time at daycare I have unless it is needed (like days that I am on call for 12 + hours). But I do still walk him and play with him to try and tire him out. It is just strange because every other time I had him at obedience class he was a perfect angel, and all of a sudden lastnight he turned into a demon pup! I am thinking maybe it was because of leaving him with my folks over the weekend, since they spoil him and let him get away with things I wouldn't necissarily allow him to.