How to teach take it???

Thread: How to teach take it???

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow to teach take it???

Okay... so Rowan is coming home on the weekend and I want to teach her to sit and wait for the command "take it " before she begins eating.
    Teach me how please
    TIA
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How to teach take it???

Personally I wouldn't use the command "take it" here, but I would definitely teach a "sit", "wait" and then a release word (I use "ok").

Have puppy sit. Say "wait". Start to lower the food dish. If they stand, bring dish back up. Repeat until you're able to set dish on the ground. Then say "ok". If you say this rather excitedly (at first) no instruction is usually needed...they jump up and start eating.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Great... thanks for the help.. Yes, I guess 'take it' doesn't overly apply to this situation.....
    Thanks again...

So then I guess my next question... would be... how do I teach... Leave it?? :
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I might be the only one that thinks this but if you are just bringing her home I would wait on the commands and just let her be a puppy for a while and let her get associated with her environment. I would assume she is only going to be 7 to 8 weeks old. She is going to miss her siblings and parents for a while.

I taught Bailey "leave it" two ways:
    - on a leash: used to control her movements while teaching the command
    - using my foot: to cover whatever the desired item was
    Mostly I used the leash & treated when she left the item & this seemed to work for us.
    Good luck with you're new litle one!!

I use "off" for leaving it until I say so, but you will get it eventually and "leave it" for forget about it cause you're not getting it.

I started with a piece of Kibble in my hand in front of Mischa in the sit position. I would hold my hand open and say "off".

If she tried to take it, I would close my hand and repeat off. When she stop trying to get it I would open my hand and repeat off again. After a certain time of not trying to steal it , I would say "take it" and give it to her. Start off with a very short time1-2 secs and progress to longer periods of waiting for it.

I use the " wait" command for something like trying to get down the stairs before me or rushing ahead of me as we go out the door.

I like the distinction between "off" and "leave it" and "off was easy to teach" We are still having our issues with "leave it", but it is getting better
    Pat

I would teach sit and then "ok".

A dog really does not to know "Sit and Stay/Wait" or "down and stay/wait". Sit means sit until you tell the dog they are free. Same goes with down. I then use "ok" to free the dog.

I can see using wait on some occasions. Such as you don't need the dog to sit or lie down, but you want them to stop and stay were they are and not move until you say, "ok" or "let's go"

good luck!

ps - sit and stay does work, but its really an extra command that is not really needed.