Question about stewing bones

Thread: Question about stewing bones

LKG

DefaultQuestion about stewing bones

Hello!

I am new here.... with an almost 12 week old chocolate lab (Daisy)... I have enjoyed reading this forum and getting all kinds of great advice.

Our breeder suggested giving Daisy frozen stewing bones as a treat. I was concerned about giving her any kind of bone that she could choke on. Any advice about giving her these bones and if so, how to give them to her (ie: should I cut all the meat off of them first etc)?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about stewing bones

Make sure that the piece you give her is large enough that she can't get chunks off or swallow it whole.
    Just give it to her raw with all the meat on. Depending on her diet, restrict her to about 10 minutes at first if the bone has marrow or she may get the runs. As she has more bones, she can have them longer.
    If you are feeding marrow bones, there is a chance she can chip a tooth on them as they are quite hard. I try to feed beef neck bones as much as possible...because they are non weight bearing, they are a bit softer bone, so a bit safer. They also have lots of meath on them and are shapped irregularly, so do a nice job of cleaning the teeth. You can get them for nothing at the butcher.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

On the stew bones, if you get them, DON'T cook them.* Cooking makes them brittle and splintery.

Beef leg bones are too hard for my Puff -- she won't chew them that much.* So we get raw beef knuckle bones and have each one sawed in half at the butcher shop.* These have a lot of suet and a few small bones embedded in the cartilage all of which I trim off (as much as I can).* Parts are also soft enough so they gradualy erode with chewing.* I DO have to keep watch that small portions have not broken off that could be swallowed.* They come frozen and so we defrost them before serving and saying "Bon appetit!"

FALL RIVER, I'm glad to hear about neck bones -- I'll try them.* Thanks.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

The advice FallRiver and Bob gave you is great. I give my dogs frozen marrow bones once a week and they love them. I started off with just 10 minutes because the marrow is so rich and worked up. I think I will try the beef neck bones next though...thanks for that tip FallRiver!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I've had the opposite experience ... mine do great on marrow bones and knuckle bones (raw; no cooking); but I've had beef neck bones to get sharp on the ends. Mine get bones at least once/week. If you are just starting, scoop out most of the marrow or only let them have for a few minutes at a time until they work up a tolerance for the marrow. They will love ya for it!!

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I've been told knuckle bones. (No weight bearing bones)
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

LKG

Thanks for the advice! Our breeder did say to get beef neck bones. I put a few in the freezer and I think I'll give them a try.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We normally use marrow bones, knuckles, and ribs. The next bones I have seen seem to have too many small bones that I can see mine swallowing. Maybe the neck bones you all are seeing are a different cut...

The beef ribs we get have alot of meat on them, and usually once the meats off, and the gnaw awhile, they leave the rest of the bone...