"Marking" certain spots - Help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Marking" certain spots - Help!

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Default"Marking" certain spots - Help!

Is it true that after a male is fixed, he will no longer have the need to "mark" spots? We recently found out that my 1 year old choc lab tends to pee on an outside corner of the sofa. Never noticed it before, and let me tell you, you CAN'T catch him doing it - he does it when your attention is for one second focused somewhere else. Yesterday morning I was making breakfast, he was behind me. 1 minute later I turn around, he's still sitting behind me (in the SAME spot!!!) but I got a strange feeling (I think it was the look on his face...) and went to look at the sofa - and there it is, a little puddle right to the side of it. A tiny puddle - so I know he didn't have to pee, as he was just out. When I call him over (in a nice, calm voice) he won't come over, knowing he did something wrong (don't care what the books say - they KNOW!) and he runs away under the table. I never yell at him, never hit him, he's so loved by the family.
    This is getting frustrating, I can't figure out why he does it or why he chose that particular spot. He never does it anywhere else in the house. He is fully trained, never has any accidents at home, if he has to go out - he'll bark. This is just so very odd... how do I stop this?? I need help

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: "Marking" certain spots - Help!

I have a rescued boy that did that ... only way I stopped him was to catch him in the act and make a huge deal of it .... OH NO OMG WHAT HAVE YOU DONE NO NO NO!!! But it has to be right when they are doing it. Otherwise, you can get male doggie wraps for him to wear indoors. A lot of them won't do it with the wraps on. I have a little guy, a shizu mix, who will do it still; so he wears a wrap when I'm not watching his little butt. Neutering does help but it's more of a learned behavior. Plus, he can prolly smell where he has been doing it even if you can't.

No matter how well you clean the sofa and floor he can still smell it. You need to get a product like Natures Miracle from the pet store to nutralize the odor for him.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

When males mark, the motivation is different than mere elimination, but both boil down to a training issue.
    Simply pretend he is an 8 week old puppy. Go back to making sure he is 100% supervised in the house and wisk him outside as soon as he starts sniffing that corner of the couch. Every time he successfully pees on the couch, he gets rewarded, so you must stop this reward history ASAP and create another reward history outside.
    If he has a favourite pee spot in his yard, give him cookies for going there and start to put it on cue. While he is marking outside, call it Go Mark! or whatever you want. Just repeat this over and over as he is marking, and soon you can try saying it before he marks there. Then, you will have marking on cue. If you subsequently catch him sniffing around the house, cheerfully say "Let's Go Mark!" and take him outside to the peeing spot and praise him lavishly for going there.
    Easy as pie
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

My BIL and his GF have a 14-month old male Rottie and a Boxer.... they mark like CRAZY! They come into our house and mark because of CoCo... they mark my in-laws house if CoCo was there since they were... Or they'll just have pissing contests in their own house (they are blocked off in the kitchen on the porcelain tile floors when their owners are out).

They ARE getting neutered in the near future (wanted to wait until after 1yr for health reasons), and we hope it stops, but I hope they also start some training techniques, as so far they've just cleaned up after them...

Does anyone know of an article on the web I could refer them to?
    ~Jo & CoCo

Adult Housetraining Checklist

Expect confusion & mistakes first few days

It is Vital to use a crate and/or a confinement area so as to not allow opportunities for accidents the first week or two – it also helps chew-training efforts.
    Set your dog up to succeed
    If using a crate, it should be just large enough for dog to turn around in and stretch out
    If using a confinement area, confine to one uncarpeted room (kitchen ideal) with pet-proof gates
    You can always relax the regime later but it is very tough to start relaxed and then try to tighten up if there’s a problem – set your dog up for success in early weeks
    Provide extra opportunities to eliminate outside:

ü First thing in the morning
    ü After eating
    ü Every 2 – 3 hours
    ü Last thing before bed
    ü If dog doesn’t eliminate on any particular outing, try again an hour later

Accompany dog to eliminate – go with him rather than sending him so that:

1) you know whether he’s gone or not
    2) you can reward at the right instant – praise and small food treat as he finishes

Go to the same spot to make it easier, or at least the same kind of surface
    Praise and reward all outdoor elimination for the first few days – later you can slack off (it is okay to continue praising).* Praise and reward every time he gets it right
    Interrupt him (“Ah! Ah! Let’s go outside!”) at the start of any mistakes indoors, then
    hustle him outside to finish. If he finishes outside, praise and reward this.
    Note:* interrupt, don’t punish. Punishment is not a good idea in your early relationship with your dog, and of dubious value at any time. And even more importantly, if the dog makes a mistake unsupervised, never, ever punish – there is zero connection to the act that happened many dozens, hundreds or even thousands of behaviors ago
    Clean all accidents thoroughly with an enzymatic cleanser (e.g. Nature’s Miracle)
    Add one extra room of house at a time every few days if dog is successful – supervise
    closely every time a room is added
    Gradually extend the duration between opportunities, adding about a half hour per week
    It is reasonable to expect an adult dog to hold on 4 – 5 hours max. Of course, many
    dogs can hold on longer but is it humane to make them?
    Sudden onset of indoor elimination in a trained dog may indicate a medical problem – consult your veterinarian immediately before getting behaviour help

Crate and Confinement Training Pointers

q Begin crate and/or dog-proofed confinement practice right away – your first
    day home
    q Practice going in crate for small, tasty food treats
    q When your dog is comfortable going in, practice closing door for 1 – 2 seconds
    for a treat
    q Put crate next to sofa, rent video and keep dog in crate next to you
    while he works on stuffed Kongs and other chewies (pig’s ears,
    rawhides etc.)
    q If using a confinement area, hang out with dog there, reading while dog
    works chewies
    q The first two or three times the dog is left alone in the crate or
    confinement area, he should be tired (just exercised), the time should
    be short (15-30 minutes) and he should have a good chewie

Dana

- Anonymous

According to Bruce Fogle, you have a bit better than a 50/50 chance of curing house marking with neutering.
    Dana

- Anonymous

Dani is offline Senior Member

Marking does not decrease with neutering. It's a training issue.

Rider marks and he's been neutered since 6months of age. He DOES NOT mark in the house however. He will mark over another dog's pee faster than you can blink your eye. It's funny when new foster dogs come in to the house. He waits for them to go pee and then he runs right over and pees over top of it.

He knows that if he were to pee in the house I'd rip his penis off!!!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Although it is a training issue, marking behaviour in the home does decrease with neutering...in a bit more than half the cases as previously stated. Neutering will not effect marking outdoors.
    Personally, I would much rather train my dog than remove parts, but we all need to cope the best we can.
    You'll get through this ;D
    Dana

- Anonymous

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    He knows that if he were to pee in the house I'd rip his penis off!!!
    LMAO!* Isn't it the truth? ;D Our male (intact) has only marked in a house once in his 5 1/2 years of life...we rented a house for a summer vacation (dog friendly house) and there was a pole in the walk-out basement...we went into the house for the first time, he sniffed the pole and peed on it...like I am sure MANY MANY other dogs have done before him.*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast