so i've got a jumper/overly hyper dog, what to do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so i've got a jumper/overly hyper dog, what to do?

Defaultso i've got a jumper/overly hyper dog, what to do?

i'm sure this has been brought up before but it's late and i'm kinda tired and wanted to somewhat save myself from going through a million posts finding the answer to my question

diva is 2 years old, she just turned 2 a few months ago. so of course she's still in the hyper puppy mode still which is cute of course but it can get irritating at times because when she gets all hyper and crazy she just runs wild around in the living room like a crazy dog wanting to attack our cocker spaniel (not attack in a bad way lol she more so acts like a tiger and tries to just pounce on him for fun and to just be a sibling and annoy him lol) when she gets like that sometimes it's funny because our cocker spaniel is an old grumpy thing and he's so mean to her sometimes but sometimes it just gets old like gosh why wont she stop this. i try to be stern with her when she does this and there have been times where i've put her in "time out" which is in my bathroom. but sometimes that doesn't work that well, maybe i just don't leave her in there long enough? she also is very bad for jumping on you like crazy and believe me she will knock you down lol we've tried to break her of that as much as possible but since it's just me, my mom, my brother & my moms b/f we are just use to her jumping so we're are kind of like w/e about it, but when we have guests over boy will she jump up on them try and knock them over and go crazy and hyper, which can be embarrassing. i know she gets excited about seeing people, she loves being around people but i just need to figure out how i can get her to just chill out more so i can let her be around guests more. when we have people over i have to lock her up in my bedroom and i hate doing that because she whines and scratches on the door because she wants to be let out and visit. does anyone have any tips to help me out? i don't want to have to take her to any training classes, i'm not saying it's a waste of money because i'm sure it helps a lot but i just don't want to have to spend money on just training for her, especially when she doesn't have a HUGE problem she just gets overly hyper/excited and jumps.

any tips would be so helpful! ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: so i've got a jumper/overly hyper dog, what to do?

How much exercise are you giving her?

ds77755 is offline Member

Agreed. Sounds like she needs more exercise.
    In addition, as far as signing up for obedience...it would be more for you than Diva. Obedience class helped me to consistently work on training AND how to deal with things like jumping. Our advanced obedience class had dogs as old as 6 years old (never a bad idea to refresh obedience training)

Good luck, she's a cutie.
    Dominic &amp; Ellie<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Read FallRiver's posts in this thread https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,16082.0.html She just posted about "jumping".

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

An adult Lab from a year up to about 7-9 years old needs about an hour of daily physical exercise (running, retrieving, swimming, retrieving swimming).* Some Labs need more to be docile, some need less.* You judge the amount needed by the undesired boredom relief activity of the Lab afterwards through the day.* Too much = more exercise; too much sleeping = cut down a little.

PS - the exercise is also good for you.* Dog owners live significantly longer than non-owners because of the walking.

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" -- Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own Prozac and Valium" -- Hippocrates

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

thanks for ya'lls tips! yeah she could use more exercise that's for sure. when it kind of cools down around here i'll try and take her outside to play more often. our weather is so retarded sometimes lol one minute it's cold/rainy then it's hot/humid. i tried taking her outside to play the other day but it was too hot outside she stood out there for like 3 minutes lol and then went back up the stairs to the door lol

Your baby needs to run. Rain or Shine. It doesn't sound like your dog is hyper she sounds bored. She probably doesn't know what to do outside is the heat b/c she isn't used to it. Take her for a 3 mile walk and you will probably see her true self.

Dani is offline Senior Member

You have to work for your dogs needs, not the other way around. They are forced to conform to you wanting to exercise when it's suitable for you...well, that produces hyper dogs and ones that jump for your attention. Get out and get your dog exercised.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

like i've said thanks for the tips. i'm gonna start trying to get her outside more and walk around. i'm hoping it's going to clear up this weekend after Tropical Storm Ernesto moves away from our area

i'll try and get her to want to be outside more too, instead of standing outside for 2 minutes and wanting to go back inside. i'll probably have to start just bringing our cocker spaniel outside too when i take her outside, she'll stay outside if he's out there. cause she has something to chase haha. i don't know what it is with her and our cocker spaniel, freddy. he doesn't have much to do with her but she loves him to death lol when me and my brother took both of them to a park one day my brother walked freddy down to this kind of lake area and i figured diva would be scared and run off like she had before but shockingly when freddy got into the water she got in too. it was cute.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

While I can understand not being able to get out and about for exercise due to extreme weather conditions, I really can't stress the need for DAILY exercise enough. I don't mean backyard time but structured exercised --off leash walking/running/exploring, swimming, a long fetch session, etc., for an hour or so a day. Mooching around in the backyard is not exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast