How often to feed / day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often to feed / day

DefaultHow often to feed / day

Maui is 3 months old. We have been feeding him twice a day. I keep reading 3x / day, but 2x seems sufficient.. and it doesn't seem to have any issues. ANy reason I should be doing 3x a day?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How often to feed / day

I adopted Brigetta at 3 1/2 months and fed her 2X a day also. I think some people feed 3X a day so that they aren't eating such big meals at once and perhaps to prevent the possibility of bloat (if the dog eats a large meal too fast).
    I love seeing pictures of Maui...he's so adorable!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Glad you posted this...because I would be interested to know if you ARE feeding 3/x a day....when do you switch to 2/x a day???

Ranger is now 5 months old and we are home to feed him 3/x a day. I just am not sure when to go to 2/x a day......he would be ticked off around noonish. He reminds us! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rule of thumb is to switch at 6 months from 3 to 2 feedings. Reason you feed 3 smaller meals is that it is easier to digest smaller meals and puppies insides are not fully developed and you would not want to put too much stress on it. Not really about bloat.

Henry gets 4 meals now, and he is 3.5 months now. From reading here, I want to have him to 2 meals by six months, but before that I obviously need to get the 3 meals. He knows his schedule now, so I was wondering how to do it.

We fed ours 3x/day (moistened with warm water) per the breeder's instructions. At about 6 mos., go to 2x/day (dry). We went to 2x/day at around 5 mos., by then, he'd pretty much lost interest in the noon feeding. We started with 3/4 c. 3x/day...then 1 c. 2x/day, which is still what he eats.

With Henry, maybe try just cutting out 1 meal, doing a.m., noon, and p.m. Then close to 6 mos., cut out the noon feeding.

Some people just do 2x/day from the start; others do the 3x, then 2x.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Ranger is now 5 months old and we are home to feed him 3/x a day. I just am not sure when to go to 2/x a day......he would be ticked off around noonish. He reminds us!
    The easiest way to eliminate the noon meal ~ which I did at 5 months ~ is to do it gradually.* For instance, assume your puppy eats 1 cup, 3x a day.* On day 1, reduce his noon meal by 1/4 cup -- but split this amount into his morning and evening meal.* The next day, reduce the original amount by 1/2 cup, and again split that amount and add it into the a.m. and p.m. feedings.* *By day 4 you will have eliminated his noon meal -- and not reduced the total amount he's fed in a day.*

I'm always amazed when I read things like this ....
    ... by then, he'd pretty much lost interest in the noon feeding.*
    for Sami has never lost interest in any meal ... and would gladly eat 10 x a day if I'd let her!* ;D

Because Oona has always woofed her food I am afraid of bloat. I feed her 4 times a day. In the morning an hour or two before we go to the lake, around 11 or 12. At 4 before I go to work, and when I get home around 11 or midnight. She gets the same amount of food just smaller portions.
    Olie

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Rowan gets fed twice a day ~ 1 cup per feeding moistened with water as per breeders instructions. She has had the runs for a day or so and ate all of her supper last night but she only ate half her breakfast this morning. Should I throw it out and give her a little more at lunch time????
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Well Ranger told us that he wanted to change. He began to not be excited about eating, especially around noon time. So I simply cut it out all together. It's been a few days and he seems to be okay with it. I try to give a mid snack of "something" whether it is training (so he gets treats), a spoonful of yogurt, a kong...somethin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast