How much time between desired action and reward / Jumping

Thread: How much time between desired action and reward / Jumping

DefaultHow much time between desired action and reward / Jumping

I was trying to think about how to phrase this question. Let's say Maui is running around the house like a maniac, and it is time to get him calmed down and into the crate. The trainer last week told us to grab him, pick him up, and hold him one arm under the belly and one around (not tight) its neck, and cradling it. They said not to let go untill the dog calmed down. Now, Maui does calm down eventually, but how long does he have to be calm for before I let him go? I dont want him to think the struggling is what gets him out (wrong reward!). Usually, I make sure he is still for at least 30 seconds or so. Is this enough? Similar to if he starts whining in the crate, we will ignore him untill he is quet for about 30 seconds.

Does this sound right?

Also, for jumping - I have heard you should just ignore him untill he is on the floor again. I try this, but I think Maui has ADD because if we ignore him he just runs off and does something else, he doesn't mind being ignored. He might come back in 30 seconds to you but I think by this point he isn't associated the ignoring with the jumping.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How much time between desired action and reward / Jumping

I'm not sure if that is the best method...but if you are doing it...I don't think the length of time being calm is important. For training, I think at the first sign the dog responds to what you want him/her to do - is when you reward. That way...they catch on to what you want. Length of time .. for example, "a stay" command comes with age/maturity level.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I would be teaching "settle" as opposed to physically restraing him. In a couple of months time it's going to be alot harder to pick him up everytime if he's not taught to associate your actions with a command. Plus, this way, hopefully in time you will have a dog that settles on command instead of running around like a maniac. But boy are puppies cute when they do that!!!

This is a good post to help with that endeavour!!

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,7143.0.html
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I just wanted to say that for jumping....I make our dog sit down when she is over excited, and no one pets her til she sits. So she learns sitting nicely in front of someone gets her attention, not trying to knock them over.