Another Food Question...sorry.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Food Question...sorry.....

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother Food Question...sorry.....

Just wondering who on the forum feeds this to your dog??? (Ultra Large Breed PUppy Food) by Nutro

I am so torn as I've heard it is one of the best but it is almost $60 a bag and I will have to drive over an hour to get it. How is the Natural Choice - Large Puppy Breed??
    Eagle Brand???

HELP!!!!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another Food Question...sorry.....

Check with your breeder... they will know what food works best for their puppies.

I've actually heard negative things about Nutro.
    ~Lindsay

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Natural Choice - Large Puppy Breed??
    That's Nutro too (isn't it?). That's what I fed and was very happy with it.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The breeder is putting her on Royal Canin Maxi Puppy 32 - I can't get that here... :-[

Yes, the Natural Choice is Nutro as well.

labby is offline Senior Member

Ask your breeder what to feed since you can't get the Royal Canin. I'd be upset if any of my puppy people fed Nutro. I don't like the food and I don't like the company. Its always best to check with the breeder on what their second choice of food would be.

Laura

I have to ask, why must it be Nutro? You asked a very simular question yesterday and I felt I gave a very good response. If you can't find what the breeder was providing, you should take a label and compare it to the other labels. Get the food that most fits the protiens and carbs you and your breeder feel the dog needs. Why pay 60 dollars for food, unless your creating a show dog and need only the best ingredients to make sure you win. Must of the brands make a quality product, look at the labels on whats in the food. If you see large amounts of wheat and corn, it sounds like its a cheaper feed, if you see good carbs, protein, fish oils etc, your good to go as long as it doesnt upset the stomach...

I've attached my post from your other inquery about large breed foods:

A large breed dog will expand in mass much quicker than a smaller dog and may need more protein and carbs than formulas designed for small dogs. Most likely in the large puppy formulas there is more protein and less filler (wheat/corn) in the feed. The cheaper the food, the more filler they tend to add... Your dog will be fine with either food as long as it doesn't upset the stomach. For smaller active puppies, 3 cups a day is recommended. Shannon and I feed Allie Purina One Large Breed Forumla, you will find many people feed many different things. I think one of the biggest differences for the large breed formula is they actually provide large bags so you don't have to get food every week. Might want to think about that, the large bag keeps us supplied for a month.

What I would personally do is take your current label off your dog food and compare it to the large breed stuff and make a judgement call based on the facts at hand. Once you make your decision, start figuring out where its the cheapest every week...

Brian... I appreciate your responses... the problem is.....

I don't have my puppy yet ( I am picking her up next weekend and want to have food to start mixing with the Royal Canin she is being put on now) ... and the breeder lives 6 hours away.... so I don't have a label to compare too. :-[

I am spending alot of money for my dog.. and just want the best for her.... there are so many opinions out there... and mixed messages....for a newbie who wants to do right by her new puppy... it is just so confusing!! (Of course, every store you talk to. the product THEY sell is the best)! :

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    Brian... I appreciate your responses... the problem is.....

I don't have my puppy yet ( I am picking her up next weekend and want to have food to start mixing with the Royal Canin she is being put on now) ... and the breeder lives 6 hours away.... so I don't have a label to compare too. :-[

I am spending alot of money for my dog.. and just want the best for her.... there are so many opinions out there... and mixed messages....for a newbie who wants to do right by her new puppy... it is just so confusing!! (Of course, every store you talk to. the product THEY sell is the best)! :
    I feel your pain on the plethora of information out there and how confusing it can be. I like Labby's suggestion... call your breeder and ask what SHE/HE chooses as a secondary food.
    ~Lindsay

Thanks for your understanding Lindsay!
    Yes, I have contacted the breeder via email and asked for her a few recommendations.
    Thanks again. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    Thanks for your understanding Lindsay!
    Yes, I have contacted the breeder via email and asked for her a few recommendations.
    Thanks again. ;D
    We played the food rollercoaster game and it was no fun! Although ours was for different reasons... not supply!
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast