Feeding our puppy...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding our puppy...

DebraV7419 is offline Senior Member

DefaultFeeding our puppy...

Mellow is now 8 weeks old. When we brought him home a week ago the breeder said to feed him 2/3 cup of food, three times a day. That is exactly what I do. But, Mellow is just FRANTIC when he sees the cup come out. He goes wild and attacks his food and inhales it within 15 seconds - if that long! Is he not getting enough? Starting yesterday, when my daughter puts the food in his bowl, I try to hold him in a sit position, the whole time I'm saying, sit, sit, sit. At first he frantically tries to get at his food. After squirming for a bit, he will sit. When he is calm for just a few seconds, I say okay, and let him go. I'm trying like the training books say - to take every opportunity to train him. But again, my question is, is he getting enough? When do I up it a little? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Feeding our puppy...

When I brought Sami home from the breeder she was 8 1/2 weeks old. She was fed 3/4 cups of food 3x a day. I think you should up his food -- but because he's a lab, he'll probably still eat frantically ;D

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

;D He's normal

Ours was 3/4c. 3x/day also...but moistened with warm water. He did exactly as yours...inhaled it within 15 seconds. I put a big rock in his bowl to try to slow him down. It didn't slow him much.....he worked around that rock like an expert! He was getting enough food, he was just a chow hound! He still wolfs it down fast, now.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oops, I think it's 3/4 cup, three times a day. :P The 2/3 cup is what I thought I would give him five times a day for water.

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

And the 'sit' before eating...even if it's only for a few seconds at first, is good I think.

One more quick comment....I think it was you that said you have your daughter handle his food in his bowl. We always did that with ours...all in the family handled his food, petted his face, was around him when eating, so he'd be used to it. Also, if given a special treat, we handled him, petted him, hands close to his face; we'd take the bone away for even 15 seconds, then give it back, so he'd always be used to his food being handled.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I agree..I'd up his food intake a bit. And I like the idea of him being used to you handling his food...good luck...he is sure a cute puppy!

curly is offline Senior Member

I would step up his food a bit. Zakk was the same way when he was young... He gobbled up his food as fast as he could. We also mixed his food with some warm water and let it sit for about 5 minutes to moisten up (recommendation of the breeder). He has now slowed down while eating (he will go to his bowl, get some in his mouth and walk around to check and make sure we have not left ;D).

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I think Mellow is just being a typical lab ~ in love with eating! Sami knows when it's meal time and her food is gone in a flash too. One way I've discovered to SORT OF slow her down, is I now feed her in a glass pyrex dish that is 9 x 13. It seems to take her a little longer to work her way around the whole bowl.

Why don't you call your breeder? Maybe he/she can give you a better idea of when to increase the food. I don't think I increased Sami's food amount for quite some time after bringing her home, but every dog is different.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

We fed Frankie 1 cup 3 times a day until he about 4 months old. Now we feed 1-1/2 cups twice a day. He was also a food inhaler. I put a nylabone in his dish now and it's amazing how much it's slowed him down. You have to be careful he doesn't get bloat from eating too fast.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try the bone in his dish - he ALWAYS gets the hiccups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast