New puppy owner-- OH this is much harder than I thought!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New puppy owner-- OH this is much harder than I thought!

Gannon is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew puppy owner-- OH this is much harder than I thought!

I really love this new little guy we brought home already, but thank goodness for this board or I would be lost. I have been reading and searching all day now (when Gannon is out like a light).\

Right now I only have one question....

Should I be putting him on a leash when I take him out to pee? I have had him for 2 days now and most of the time we take him out he pee's right away and then goofs off for about 10 minutes and goes inside and pees on the floor about 10 minutes later...? Same with pooping. He doesn't seem to be fully eliminating while we are outside I give him ample time and take him out ALOT, but I think he plays to much out there and forgets what we are there to do??

Also the second question is a silly one. I do not have a pic of Gannon right now (hubby is out of town with the camera) He is a beautiful Chocolate( on the darker side) with BLUE eyes at 8 weeks. I cant seem to find any pics of adult chocolates with blue eyes, will they change? :'(
    Emily <br /><br /> &quot;’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,<br />And grace my fears reliev’d&quot; <br />John Newton

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New puppy owner-- OH this is much harder than I thought!

I cant seem to find any pics of adult chocolates with blue eyes, will they change?
    Yes they will.

I used a leash when I took Kona out when he was little.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I will be facing these same dilemas when I bring mine home Friday. On the potty, be sure to wait for a bit when he goes. Sometimes they will go a couple of times before finishing. Be business like when you take him out...then when he finishes bring him back in. You can always take him out again to play but you want him to know that when he goes potty it's for that and that alone.

On the eyes, I'm getting a black and he looks so cool with the blue eyes, but they do change as they get a bit older. Not sure exactly when but the blue eyes do go..

COngrats in your new addition. I found Labradors for Diummies very helpful, plus this board. Do you have a crate? That will be a very valuable tool in housetraining him!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am crating him at night and anytime I don't feel like freaking out about his whereabouts. If he is up and awake for a good hour out of his crate then I put him there for his nap, let him out as soon as he wakes up etc.... He has not soiled it so far but today he has been much more reluctant to go in it.

I tried leashing him to go potty the last few hours today and he freaks out. He spends ALL of his time trying to pull out of the collar and away from me instead of going potty. I took him out 3 times with it and he peed on the kitchen floor within 2 minutes of coming back in the house 2 of the 3 times. I left the leash on the floor by the door we use and he went over to it and whined and backed away.......so the last time I took him out he did both his jobs with no leash and no problems...so much for hoping to keep the poop in one spot?

I bought a baby gate today to keep him in the kitchen because yesterday and this morning he pooped on the carpet... Then once in the kitchen I had to loose all of the throw rugs because he peed on one, I removed it, he peed on the next............

Maybe tomorrow will be better... this is so difficult. I feel like I have a toddler and a newborn baby in the house at the same time!

Emily <br /><br /> &quot;’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,<br />And grace my fears reliev’d&quot; <br />John Newton

curly is offline Senior Member

As far as potty training.... take him out and walk, walk, walk until you get the action you're looking for and then praise, praise, praise! We used the word "potty" meaning to go out to pee/poop and then praised Zakk with alot of "good potty" when he went. Treats may also help as a reward for a good potty.

Good luck.... and yes, it is alot of work (I nearly pulled my hair out because just when we thought we had Zakk "trained", he would show us by giving us presents where we didn't want them :-\). He's doing very well now and is very good about letting us know he has to go!

The blue eyes will most likely change.... it's a bummer because Zakk had the coolest blue/green eyes when he was a puppy. You can see them now in my sig pic.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I remember this initial resistence to a leash too. I would try keeping a leash on him at all times. After a day or so he'll be used to it and it won't be such a bid deal. Let him drag it around behind him or keep it tied to you. It makes him much easier to catch this way too! ;D (Just remember no collars or leashes in his crate).

Also try to be very consistent. Take him out alot and praise the heck out him when he goes (if you are treat training, this is a great time to give a treat, too).

Is there anyway to include the door going outside in your gated area? The reason I ask ... we'd had Sami one week and she was gated in the kitchen when she went running into a section of the gate and jumped up on it like she was trying to get out. I thought "silly pup" and then she pooped right there! So it only took her a week to realize she was supposed to go outside, but she had no way of actually getting to the door to let me know (bell training is awesome by the way). So after that, I re-did the gate situation to include the back door!

One last thing -- regarding his reluctance to the crate. Make the crate a great place to go. I did this by always giving a small piece of cookie whenever Sami went in. To this day, she knows if she's in her crate she's going to get something -- either a kong or a cookie. The crate should be a place where good things happen!

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

Yup...don't wait on the leash cause it doesn't get any easier. At 7 weeks I would let him go whereever he wanted...just followed because his neck wasn't strong for any pulling. You can do that later as he gets older. They get the hang of things...very smart dogs.

And the blue eyes do go away - wouldn't that be cool if they didn't? Here is my baby at 5 weeks. What a little sugar....

.................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

brianttu is offline Senior Member

I agree with the posting above me...You need to teach your dog at an early age about the leash and how it works. At first puppies will resist it, but it is easier to teach young pup compared to an older and heaver dog... Even if your on a farm, eventually you may want to take him/her out in public. Potty does tend to work around two things. Feeding and exercise. When you feed your pup, they usually need to go out and pee with in 15 mins of eating. If your dog mills around outside, go for a 5 min walk, I garentee you will get your result. It seems that dogs need to do their duty more while getting execrise. Allie's a female and doesn't really care about marking places, but she can use the restroom 3 times in an hour while out on a jog...

Good Luck and welcome to the board...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

ginger is 5 months and still has bluish eyes. i think they are starting to change to green.

good luck with your puppy!!!

Thanks guys, I think I am just being a whiner baby.... this is my first dog ever so I wasn't sure what to expect.

I do have treats and tons of praise for him when he goes potty and am putting treats in his crate to, I think I just need to be more patient.
    He is confined to the kitchen and we use the sliding door off the kitchen to take him out.

Now though all I can seem to do is sit in the kitchen (at leat that is where the computer is)as soon as I step foot inside the living area without him he whines terribly, even though he can totally see me.

What exactly does tethering the puppy to you accomplish?? How does this stop accidents? Do they refuse to pee on the owner like their beds or something?? I think I might like to try that so I can get a little more accomplished, right now I just have to sit around him and sneak (VERY quietly) away while he is napping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast