Best Advice to keep Gertie (3 mo. old) in our own yard

Thread: Best Advice to keep Gertie (3 mo. old) in our own yard

Gerties Mom is offline Member

DefaultBest Advice to keep Gertie (3 mo. old) in our own yard

Well, our previous dog was very well trained. Stayed in the yard (no fence, no leash) unless we gave permission to go to the neighbors.
    Our 3 month old chocolate lab, Gertie, needs to take off.. especially when the lab (also is 3 mo. old) is out next door.
    I want to do what's best to keep her safe, but also want her to be able to be off the leash and stay in our yard.
    I also am not real fond of the zapping fences or collars.
    Anyone else, other than the Dog Whisperer, have luck in this area?
    Any help appreciated...thanks.
    ***1st Lab and loving her....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Best Advice to keep Gertie (3 mo. old) in our own yard

I have advice. Please install some type of fencing. It's simply not worth the risk. I am of the opinion that no dog is ever 100%. And all it takes it once.

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

3 mos. old is WAAAAYYY too young to be outside at any time without a well-fitted collar and leash or long-line, or a strong secure fence. the leash/line is placed on the dog BEFORE any doors are opened!
    i too like 'real' fences, BTW.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Ya, get a fence or have the dog on a leash. Three month olds are NOT going to be trustworthy...for a LONG time!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others. Don't risk it. I wouldn't trust my fully grown, fully trained dogs not to wander off and explore let alone a 3 month old puppy. Either fence your yard or keep her leashed.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gerties Mom
    I also am not real fond of the zapping fences or collars.
    "invisible" fences are very effective and most dogs learn quickly, so don't dismiss this option right off. We had this at our previous home, for our golden and springer, and it allowed flexibility in where the fenceline was, it was way less expensive than regular fencing for our 1/2 acre, and allowed the yard to look less like an enclosure than it otherwise would have. Both dogs learned fast and most of the time, they didn't even have the collar on. Where we are now, we have chainlink fencing, which works well of course, but is not cheap to install.

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

I guess I can give advice to this question pretty well since I do not have a fence at all. We are in the country, but have a road in front of our house. A real fence is not an option for our layout and investment. We do have an electric fence and I just haven't trained him on it yet, but plan to. It is not inhumane. I held the buzzer on my hand and walked through it - well crawled cause you have to be close to the ground. It startles you for sure!! But does not hurt you. A dog when learrning to walk on a leash and pulls at it really hard - I would imagine hurt as much.

So what do we do now with my 4.5 month old? We all take him out for his business on a leash. We stay there with him the whole time with him. I have not let my dog out and gone back inside the house. In the backyard we take him off the leash to run back and forth. Some people would not recommend this ever, but I don't live in the city and he hasn't proven himself to be untrustworthy. But I am still out there.

If you cannot get a fence of some sort then you need to crate him inside or get a small kennel with shade outside when you leave to secure him.

.................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Oona is almost 6 and she has never walked out the back door without her leash on. Oona is a dog that I can walk with off leash at the park and she never strays more than ten yards away. I can put her in a downstay at one end of a soccer field and walk to the other end of the field with my back to her and she will still be their until I call her. What I did was teach her how to heel properly. How to lay down on command. I would walk around her while she was laying down (dogs hate this.) I would walk around her with her favorite toy. Once I could do this I would make her lay down and walk to the end of her leash and call her. When Oona could do this I extended the distance with 30 feet of closeline tied to the leash. Then 50 feet followed by 100 feet. In spite of this training I never know what stimulus is on the other side of the door, a cat, a skunk, another dog that's why she is on the leash. Most Labs that are hit by cars never see the car they are so focused on what is on the other side of the road. You have to take everything that your other dog did and keep it as a memory, this is a different dog, a different breed even and to compare the two is unwise and unsafe.
    Olie