Summer Training Poll

View Poll Results: Has your training decreased during the summer?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I've slacked off

10 37.04%
  • No, I have consistently trained

16 59.26%
  • My dog's perfect, we don't need training!

1 3.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Training Poll

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSummer Training Poll

Okay, so our training with CoCo is completely slacked off since we finished our last obedience class and went on vacation for 2 weeks in July... Yet, we remain to get frustrated when she won't come or won't heal... yes, its OUR fault!

I've just emailed our instructor, and asked to sign up for the next class... an intermediate obedience class. I also asked what we need to have down before we begin, so that I can start to focus. I really enjoy the structure and instruction from a class. I'm looking forward to it!

So, am I the only slacker?
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Summer Training Poll

Slacking here...

What really is bad is that Ender, aside from one bowl flipping incident, hasn't acted out at all recently, even though we've slacked on the training... that his "perfectness" is feeding into my procrastination... it's like "well we aren't having problems... so why work?" I know... it's horrible and I feel guilty.

Man this is just like school! I could always pass doing the bare minimum so I never did more unless it was a hard class or a class I really liked. Semester after semester I "got by" doing less and less... and I'm doing the same with Ender.

I'm so ashamed.
    ~Lindsay

Lindsay, I am the exact same way (with school too).... I think, CoCo knows down, sit, paw, speak, wait, off, leave it... that's good enough!

That is, until she's running around with a bunch of dogs at the beach and I try to get her to COME, or she's pulling on the leash and choking herself on her buckle collar!

The intermediate class teaches useful things like "go to your matt" and stays from a distance, etc... which would be sooooo nice!
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I slacked off with the more formal part -- but not w/ the everyday things (like waiting to eat, waiting at the curb, etc). In the past two weeks I've put her back on a 6' leash for every other walk (vs. a flexi). We're supposed to finish up our obedience classes this fall ... and unless I "crack down" now I'm afraid I'll be embarrased!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    I slacked off with the more formal part -- but not w/ the everyday things (like waiting to eat, waiting at the curb, etc).*
    Same here. It has been so hot here this summer that I've just been trying to get really early morning and late night walks in so she can get exercise, plus I've been a slacker on the days Brigetta is at daycare, I don't do any training with her besides making her wait for her dinner. The biggest challenge I have with her right now is the walking, she is afraid of everything outside when we walk and as a result pulls non-stop, so that is really the only "big" thing we've worked on this summer (without much luck ). I also feel VERY guilty!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Its no big deal taking a break from training over the summer IMO...

Our field training slows right down in the summer months. Currently I am just working on keeping the dogs fit and healthy before the start of the hunting season. Obedience wise we still practice every day but not as much as we do in the colder months. I always mix obedience into our walks.

curly is offline Senior Member

I try to work with Zakk daily (as long as his short attention span will allow me to ;D). We work outside if we can but it seems like he does "more" if we are inside when the weather is warmer (like it has been for the past few months).

Zakk is young and has plenty of things to learn to make him a "complete" dog so I know I can't slack off any.

Alright, who clicked their dog is perfect and doesn't need training! :P

Oh yeah, I still make CoCo wait for her food (she'll almost let me walk out of the room now, she waits until I say OKAY!), and sit/speak/paw/down for a treat or petting.... but I haven't really worked on anything that she doesn't have down yet.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

I've actually been pretty good with training this summer until the last couple of weeks. Our obedience classes went until the end of July, so we kept up pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCosMom
    Yet, we remain to get frustrated when she won't come or won't heal... yes, its OUR fault!
    I find myself with the same frustration; but then remind myself I can only blame myself for not working with her on come enough!! :P
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh yes... we do make him wait at the door, sit and stay before being released to eat... tricks that he allready knows for treats.

Oh... as for the pulling and such. Yes we have only ourselves to blame. But you know what I did? I promised to myself that if I worked with him and got him to the point where he could walk okay around the neighborhood without even the Easy WAlk and not pull... I'm going to buy him (well really it's for me) a Paco leather collar. That will be our reward for a job well done.

Notice I said "walk okay around the neighborhood" not "walk down to the beach" or "walk to the dog park"... I don't think we'll EVER be able to teach him not to pull in those situations... or I'm going to have to make the reward a lot bigger!
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast