Prong Collar Article

Thread: Prong Collar Article

DakotasMom Guest

DefaultProng Collar Article

Just wrote a new article on Prong collars and how to use them correctly. This article is based on all the data I have collected over the last year and how effective they are when used correctly on our own Lab girls. (Yes, once again I am using person experience! *smile*)

Since each owner has their own personal experience with certain methods of training, I would love some constructive feedback!

The article may be found here: http://www.8pawsup.com/articles/trai...ngcollars.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Prong Collar Article

Good article, you've emplyed it but somewhere I would clearly state that the dog shouldn't be wearing a prong collar during play.
    Olie

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Today i was a first time reader of your article. I found it very informative and well written. You covered all the basic that I would ask before considering a prong collar. I don’t train using prong collars, but now I have the knowledge to explain it to others…

Nice Work!
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ds77755 is offline Member

Good article. Which way should the prong be placed on on the dog, i.e., what direction should the prongs face (I've been told to the left of the dog, but have seen both ways) - or does it even matter?
    Dominic &amp; Ellie<br /><br />

DakotasMom Guest

From everything I have read, it does not matter which way the prongs face. It is important though that the prongs be at the front of the neck, under the chin, and not at the back of the neck. The soft "bite" action that the prongs give needs to be at the throat.

Thank you all for the feedback.

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Good article!
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

I personally think using the prong, choke, e-collar are all efective and humane - of course when used correctly.

I have seen that study about the 100 dogs you wrote aboot so many times, I stopped counting. Personally, I am not sure I buy into it.

That being said, if it were a accurate statistic, then using the e-collar would virtually eliminate all risk of a neck injury due to a collar.

Just my two cents.

Tacmedic24 is offline Junior Member

Good article! Thanks. I used a prong collar on my previous dog, but have not had an ingling to use it for Hunter and Tucker. They seem to be coming along quite well with training.
    Rory and Lisa<br /><br />Hunter and Tucker (6 mo.)<br /><br />

Labs_Rule is offline Junior Member

It was a very good article, but be careful when using wikipedia

I've been told by many teachers that anyone can put infomation on wikipedia and it doesn't even have to be true.
    They can make something entirely up and put it on there.
    Teachers discourge students from using that site all the time.

I'm not saying the info you gathered is false, it certainly sounds right to me.

All I'm saying is that, people do put false info on there and its hard to tell whats true and what isn't.

(I hope I didn't offend you by saying this)

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\labs on a bus 8.bmp