2 year old dogs continue to chew up things like shoes, trash, etc.

Thread: 2 year old dogs continue to chew up things like shoes, trash, etc.

2labs is offline Junior Member

Default2 year old dogs continue to chew up things like shoes, trash, etc.

This problem is getting worse, and i don't know what to do.

They will play with anything they can chew to shreds, like those rope tie toys (and our stuff), but when it comes to more durable toys, they ignore them after a few minutes. If it has food in it, they will play with it as long as it has food in it, then ignore it. So giving them things that don't shred has not worked, and we can't afford to keep giving them shredable toys because they don't last all that long with them.

Maybe this is an insoluble problem or I need to find a place where I can get rope ties in bulk... but i sure would appreciate any ideas!

Thanks very much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 2 year old dogs continue to chew up things like shoes, trash, etc.

How much exercise are they getting?

There is no excuse for adult dogs to still be chewing up your possessions. All signs point to boredom...

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ditto.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2labs is offline Junior Member

Duh!

Thanks very much-- we have been very busy lately because we were all very sick earlier this summer. They weren't doing it before then; in fact, they are so good they didn't do it while we were sick! I guess I shouldn't have written "continue" but they'd chewed up some perfectly good slippers so I felt upset.

Thanks again!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

No worries... just remember the lab mantra...

"a tired lab is a good lab"
    ~Lindsay

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

For most 2 year old Labs, 60 minutes/day of vigorous running, fetching, swimming is needed to banish the* dreaded "Hex of the Bored, Unexercised Lab"

Not just walking.

Not just being outside in the back yard.

An hour daily of vigorous daily running, fetching, swimming

Put it in your daily schedule and it'll help your health, too.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Tacmedic24 is offline Junior Member

I have to agree about the statement "A tired lab is a good lab" I have found that after Hunter and Tucker swim for an hour or so, they are beat. (Of course they are in the pool almost three or four hours at a time). As far as chewing things, I do not know how others feel, but I would try some of the sprays that are out (the bitter tasting ones). I found with my previous dog, Apollo, that he would not touch an item after sinking his teeth into that....Just thought I could offer my two cents
    Rory and Lisa<br /><br />Hunter and Tucker (6 mo.)<br /><br />