sleeping issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleeping issue

ZoeysDad is offline Member

Defaultsleeping issue

I have a 7month old Chocolate Lab named Zoey. I put her to bed around 9pm so I can have an hour to myself before I go to bed. The problem I have is that she is currently waking up at 4am and wanting out of her crate. I take her out to potty at 4 and then put her back in the crate then she is hitting the crate sides and now she just recently started barking. How can I deter this so I can get some sleep?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

threelabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: sleeping issue

That's a pretty long time to hold it for still a young dog. Also they are full of energy at that age. Is she really tired when you put her to bed at 9? Make sure she gets enough excercise. If possible, let her out one more time right before you go to bed and maybe she'll sleep in a bit longer.

I thought that they could hold it for 8 hours at that age. Also I take her out for 30 min walks either twice a day or three times a day. I think she is also going through the rebellion stage. Is there anything else that I can do to correct this behavior or is it just a waiting game. I try to wear her out in the park by retrieving but she doesn't want to play. I think it is because I feed her about 30min before hand. What do you think?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

9 pm to 4 am is 7 hrs... I'd take her to bed later... like when you go to bed.

Also if you know she can "hold" it... don't let her out... she is training you. Ender would get us up at 6 am every morning... finally I decided to make him wait until 7 (when we normally get up)... after 2 days... he stopped waking up at 6 and now lets us sleep til 7 .
    ~Lindsay

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta will be 7 months September 1st. I let her out at 11 (I usually go to bed around 12) and she needs to go out anywhere from 5-6 am. This morning she didn't wake me to go out until almost 6. When she goes out at 5, I come back to bed and give her a few toys to play with and she'll play until it's time for her walk and breakfast (6am).
    Quote Originally Posted by threelabs
    Make sure she gets enough excercise. If possible, let her out one more time right before you go to bed and maybe she'll sleep in a bit longer.
    I agree with this, also try giving her some toys (that don't need supervision) to play with after you let her out in the morning. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I'm surprised that she isn't sleeping through the night at this age. Don't let her have any water after 8pm.
    Olie

putertutor is offline Senior Member

I can't tell you how many times I've read on this board that walking alone is not enough exercise for a lab and I've found that this is very true. Are you having her retrieve at all? You may want to try to do 30 minutes of retrieving, so she can run off some of the energy. Do you take her to the dog park? My dog is just 5 mos. and walks just aren't enough for her. Since I've been off work for a couple of weeks for summer break I take her to the dog park to run and play off leash. I can really see the difference with her and her sleep schedule on days we go to the park vs. days we don't. I usually crate her at between 10:00 and 11:00 p.m. and we get up @ 6:00 or 6:30 a.m. and we wake her up. Sometimes on Sunday mornings she will sleep til 9:00 a.m.
    <br /><br />http://www.lexiethelab.com<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />http://lexiethelab.com/shopping-resources

I am probably a little frustrated because she got spayed about two weeks ago and had to where the E Collar when I am not watching so I have really just been walking her. The collar comes off tonight. She is really not much of a retriever yet. I have been working with her but she gets bored really quickly with it. Hopefully I will be able to get her to retrieve soon.

putertutor is offline Senior Member

Oh, it's a tough time for you; you really couldn't exercise her too soon after the spay. Let's hope that once she's healed she can run like a mad woman and wear herself out.

My pup isn't much of a retriever yet either, but she will run for the ball (she just doesn't usually bring it all the way back) We keep practicing! She loves to chase the other dogs who are retrieving tho.
    <br /><br />http://www.lexiethelab.com<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />http://lexiethelab.com/shopping-resources

kassabella is offline Senior Member

The advice you have been given is great. Ernie is 4. I adopted him a year ago and he started this carry on about 6 months ago. He walked his crate and tore up the carpet. also wrecked the crate.

It will become a habit.
    I didn't give Ernie any water after about 6pm. I did some retrieve or other things before bed.
    I put him to the toilet at 11pm or later. I put him in a room I couldn't hear him as much and put blankets over his crate to muffle the sound. One night when he started barking i got up and banged on the crate. About an hour later he started again. I got up and put him in his crate in the garage. This went on for 3 nights. After that one bang on his crate and he is quiet.

He will do it when I leave him overnight. He does this because he knows they will let him in their bed. they gave in to him.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast