House Training Two Puppies

Thread: House Training Two Puppies

Tacmedic24 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHouse Training Two Puppies

Hello. New member here. I am hoping to find some insight. I have read previous posts that pertain to puppies peeing and pooping in the house. I have gained a few ideas and tricks to try... I have two six month old labradors. One is black and the other is yellow. They are brothers from the same litter. Their mother died shortly after giving birth. Anyway, I cannot get them to stop relieving themselves in the house. I have tried crate training, taking them out every 1/2 hour, praising them etc etc etc. I am wondering if they "play onto each other" per say creating the house training to be more difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? ??? ??? ??? ???

R. Stubbs
    Rory and Lisa<br /><br />Hunter and Tucker (6 mo.)<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: House Training Two Puppies

The only way I could get Dakota to stop going potty in the house was leash her to me. It took a good 2 months of her being on the leash EVERY DAY ALL DAY when in the house.

Servant2Lexus is offline Member

Without knowing exactly what is going on, what all you have tried, how they are acting, etc... My very first question is are they neutered? If they are not neutered and peeing in the house, they could very well be trying to mark things... And obviously with having two different males in the house you can see how this would become a problem. It is very possible that one will pee on the floor and the other comes along, smells the first dog, and pees to mark that space his own. This would just end up being an endless cycle between them. So, if they are 6 months old and not neutered that could explain some of it. If this is the case, it really doesn't have a lot to do with simple housebreaking techniques... That kind of marking is a little beyond just a simple housebreaking problem and will be harder to break them of.

If this isn't the case, then I agree with Kathryn and the tip of having them leashed to you whenever you are in the house. (Although, for you, it might require a second person for the second dog.)
    *~ Sarina ~* - Proud servant to Lexus...<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'm no help, it took me forever to house train both of my dogs :-\

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

They are going in to be neutered on the 5th of Sept. I did have that schedule as a matter of fact Thanks for the suggestions!!

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Are you using a product like Nature's Miracle to ensure that you are REALLY removing the smell?

Could you give us an idea of their exact schedule? How long are they in crates? Do they relieve themselves in their crates?

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I kept three from my litter, two for me and one I kept for a yea for the ownerr, so I can understand your frustration!

I took them out about every hour and it seemed to take for ever before they were trustworthy! Also, I'd try to only have 1 out at a time so that I could watch him or her at all times. (I had two males and a female). It truely did take 6-8 months before I could trust them not to pee if I fell asleep on the couch. Fortunately, they only had a couple transgressions after they were about 3 months old, but I did a lot switching dogs around so that every one got attention. It was impossible to watch three pups at once!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Thank you for the advice! It is definetly different than dealing with only one pup at a time :-\ But I am glad I decided to keep both of them instead of seperating them. They really keep each other entertained!