A few questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultA few questions

I was reading a crate training book last night and have the following questions.

1. So you soak your pig/beef ears in hot water for a few minutes before giving them to your puppy?
    2. What is a kennel mat and where do I find one?
    3. Do you leave a specific kind of music on for your puppy or just the radio/tv in general?
    4. What kind of gate would you recommend for the entranceway at the bottom of the stairs?? (I have read to stay away from wooden ones??)

TIA for your help!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A few questions

#1. We don't give Ender any pig ears.

#2. I'd suggest not getting a kennel mat until your pup is 100% crate trained and also is trustworthy that he/she isn't going to tear the mat apart and potentially ingest it. Mat/bed same thing. If you go to Dog.com you'll find a ton. But remember, pups don't "need" a soft plushy thing in their crate and sometimes it can even encourage them to use it as a toliet.

#3. We did talk radio, audiobooks, or classical. The point is to be soothing and to give some "white noise" so the pup isn't hyper-sensitive to every neighborhood dog bark he hears.

#4. We did a wooden baby gate from Wal Mart... he never tried to chew on it, and if he did, we would have used it to teach leave it. Make sure you get a tall one
    ~Lindsay

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

Ender's Mom gave great advice.

#1. Never given Bailey any pig ears either, so can't help on this one.

#2. I'm also waiting until Bailey is through her teething period before I think about getting one of these. I know where I bought my kennel (plastic) they had they correct size to fit it.

#3. Same as Ender's Mom.

#4. I'm needing to buy one of these too & that's what was recommended to me by another friend/fellow dog owner.
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

1. So you soak your pig/beef ears in hot water for a few minutes before giving them to your puppy?
    2. What is a kennel mat and where do I find one?
    3. Do you leave a specific kind of music on for your puppy or just the radio/tv in general?
    4. What kind of gate would you recommend for the entranceway at the bottom of the stairs?? (I have read to stay away from wooden ones??)
    1. I would not feed ANY type of cooked or smoked pet store bones/pigs ears. They can splinter and nutritionally they have little value. Most of the good nutrients are lost in the cooking process. If you want to feed bones, feed them raw. RAW bones are one of the best foods you can feed your dog.

2. What Ender's Mom said. You can put a mat in the crate providing you know the pup won't chew it. You can get them from most good pet stores.

3. I don't think it matters. Personally, I don't think a pup cares whether you leave the TV/radio on or not, but its a personal choice.

4. If your pup is a chewer, stay away from wood. Just try normal baby gates.

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

My answers are the same as above, except I'm not picky about the noise. Most of the time, I leave the tv on (channel doesn't matter) and sometimes I leave the radio on to the station I listen to most while I'm in the car.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

1. Same as Ender's Mom.* We did use Hartz Mountain chewsticks (cigarillo size, tiny pieces of rawhides held together in a digestible, flavored glue) as a DISTRACT & SUBSTITUTE lure when my Puff was attacking my ankles, computer wires, etc.* DO NOT BUY OR USE ANY BRAND THAT DOES NOT HAVE A* *COMPANY NAME, ADDRESS, GUARANTEE OF SATISFACTION, AND A TOLL FREE # TO CALL FOR ANY CONCERNS.* There are many cheap-o similar foreign products made with chemicals that are toxic or upsetting.

2. If your dog chews up things, don't use one.* A few dogs are not chewers of everything.* My Puff never chewed her mat or toilet paper, and she still has the Teddy Bear she had at 4 months.* Puff's taste ran to eye glasses, computer wires, ankles, and an occasional table leg.* She was especially fond of the sole inserts in my New Balance athletic shoes; she could degut a shoe and macerate the insert in less than 5 seconds.

3. Puff's taste, quite luckily for both of us, is VERY much like mine -- NPR with talk, much classical music, news, and jazz.

4. If your dog is NOT a big chewer, wood can be fine.* There are also inexpensive plastic ones.* Just yesterday I was in a Lab friend's home for the first time -- he'd offered to saw some things for me on his band saw.* He has 2 other dogs besides his Lab, and they're all adults.* I saw at least 3 baby gates being used, all of them wood.

IF you DO use a babygate, you may need to spend considerable time on the same side as your pup.* My Puff objected pretty noisily to any separation from me.

HINT: follow the "5 minute rule" on exercise. Give 5 minutes of running, chasing, frollicking (vigorous exercise) for each month of your pup's life up to 12 month's age. That will cut down on the amount of
    destructive chewing which more often happens when the Lab pup is bored. Some Lab pups (like my Puff) require 2 periods a day of the 5 minute rule to be serene.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

You can use a blanket in the crate, if you want, before or instead of a mat. We had a folded blanket in the crate from the day ours came home, and he never chewed it.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

putertutor is offline Senior Member

I used a towel in the crate when Lexie was little. I tried the mat that came with my canvas crate (2nd indoor crate) when we got it, but Lex enjoyed the stuffing too much. :P In hindsight I wouldn't use anything now.

If you're going to get a baby gate, get a quality gate and start using it when the puppy is younger. I made the mistake of buying a less expensive wooden gate since I had already bought three crates and a large fence/pen. I tried using the gate couple of weeks ago (Lex is five months) and she broke it after a couple of nights trying to jump on it. I also noticed some chewing on it. :
    <br /><br />http://www.lexiethelab.com<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />http://lexiethelab.com/shopping-resources

DebraV7419 is offline Senior Member

Hi Patti - You must be getting close to picking up your puppy!* How exciting!* I am not as experienced as everyone else here but here's what we do:
    1.* I don't give him these things because I'm afraid of choking.* I haven't even given him any treats because I don't know what they're made of and I'm waiting for him to get used to his regular food first.

2. My brother bought him a soft doggy blanket and he seems to really like it.* Plus, before we made his crate smaller he pooped on it and it was easy for me to clean it up and throw it in the wash.* We made the crate smaller and all is well.

3. I had never heard of that. Anyway, I've been sleeping with him in the TV room (where his crate is).* Our JLSP gave him this little stuffed puppy baby thing that you put in the microwave to warm up.* We did that and put it in with him.* I think he cried for less than a minute.* I find that if I make sure he plays a little around 9:30, then I take him out before I go to bed, he settles right in to his crate. Last night (5th night) he didn't yelp at all, just a low, 15 second whimper and that was it.

4.* I have two of the cheap wooden ones which I use to keep him in the same room as me.* Just today I saw him start to bite the gate and I just said, no, and he stopped.* I'm hoping by the time he has more freedom in the house he will know not to chew the gate going up the stairs.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but I thought I read not to let your puppy out of the crate when he is crying because then he'll associate crying with getting out.* So, when he wakes me up to go potty, or in the morning, or after I've crated him while I do something, I go to his crate and softly say, "Shhhhh, sit...shhhh, sit."* The first couple of times he stopped yelping and when he eventually sat, I praised him and opened the door.* Today he was yelping when he heard me come home and the minute he saw me, he was quiet and sat down.* I was so proud of him.* He is so settled by the time I open his crate that he just sort of saunters out.*

When does your little one come home?

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Rowan comes home on September 9th! ;D

I'm trying to figure out what to give her for 'chewables' then since I was told pig ears etc. were a good alternative to rawhide. :-\ I do have a kong (baby) that I am going to use but was told that I should have 'crate toys' and non crate toys. My plan is to fill that up with goodies and use it as a crate toy when I have to go out or to work.

I wonder where your secret pal got that warm heating up thing.....IF DEB's secret pal is reading this ... could they PM ME??? ;D

Yes, I have heard that about the whining in the crate as well. I will also be sleeping beside Rowan for the first few nights. ;D
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast