Sorry, new puppy poop question...

Thread: Sorry, new puppy poop question...

DebraV7419 is offline Senior Member

DefaultSorry, new puppy poop question...

Okay, we picked up Mellow on Friday. The breeder was supposed to give us a bag of puppy food when we left but of course we were so excited and distracted we forgot. She used Eagle Pack something and no one near us has that. So I ran to our store here on post and got Nutro Large Breed Puppy Food. His poop seems a little mushy to me (haha, like I'm some expert! However, I have been doing poop patrol of the yard and I can't pick it up - yuck!). Is he still getting used to it? Is this a good brand?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sorry, new puppy poop question...

heya!!!

I hear ya on the mushy poop thing.... BEEN THERE!

Nutro from what I gather is a good food... though I know labby and others will NOT feed it due to problems they had on it in the past. I'd get ProPlan LB Puppy... that seems to be a good food by general concensus over here and by my vet... and it's usually available in most pet food stores.

As for the mushy poop... I think you should allow for some adjustment time... stress and stuff can cause that kind of thing. (Forgive me but it's a crap shoot sometimes). Also... call up the breeder and see what she/he thinks. Maybe the puppies had mushy poop before they went home... it's worth a try.
    ~Lindsay

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I will be putting Rowan on the Nutro when she arrives home with us.

I believe that his system is just getting used to the change in food.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DebraV7419 is offline Senior Member

Thank goodness you two were concerned about Mellow's poop!! Thanks for the input. I'll see how he is the next couple of days. Poop patrol is DISGUSTING with mushy poop! :P

putertutor is offline Senior Member

Keep an eye on that cute, little face. It will probably take a few days to adjust to any new food.

The other thing to watch is treats, they can cause mushy poops too.
    <br /><br />http://www.lexiethelab.com<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />http://lexiethelab.com/shopping-resources

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

What a cute puppy!
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I personally wouldn't make a food switch right now, whether intentionally or not. Stick with the breeders guidelines IMO.

As for Nutro, it is a ok food, depending on the formula. You didn't say which LBP formula your pup is on but here are the ingredients for you...

MAX® LARGE BREED PUPPY

Puppies Growing to 50 lbs. or More

Ingredients
    Beef Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Dried Egg Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Dried Kelp, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, L-Carnitine, Manganous Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Garlic, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Copper Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid.

and....

NATURAL CHOICE®
    LARGE BREED PUPPY
    LAMB MEAL & RICE FORMULA

For Puppies
    Who Grow to Over 50 Pounds
    at Maturity

Ingredients
    Lamb Meal, Rice Flour, Rice Gluten, Rice Bran, Ground Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Garlic, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), L-Carnitine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.*

in comparison to Eagle Pack...

Large & Giant Breed
    Puppy Formula

Ingredients:*
    Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Yellow Corn, Oatmeal, Chicken Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Corn Germ Meal (Dry Milled), Brewers Dried Yeast, Anchovy & Sardine Meal, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Air-Dried Peas, Dried Carrots, Inulin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes (sequestered) of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

The ingredients in both Eagle Pack and Nutro look similar. Try this website for information on the individual ingredientss;

http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/